Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I reload 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 10mm and 41 mag in pistol.

Rifle I do 220 Swift, 22-250, 243, 308 and 308 Norma Mag.

Been doing it a while now which helps me decide whether or not I am buying a particular firearm. I wouldn't do the 308 Norma Mag without reloading.

bob

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I started loading in 1975. Started with bottleneck rifles, 243, then 16 ga shotgun. Both of these were strictly for hunting, and reloaded only for economic reasons (I was a poor boy growing up, then a poor jr. enlisted man). Moved into a whole bunch of other loading 30-06 dominated my loading for many years (service rifle competition w/Garands). Now the list I don't load would probably be shorter. 22 Hornet up to 50-90 Sharps, without many gaps. 38 spl up to 45 Colt. 20, 16, 12 and 10 gauge shotshells.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts

·
Registered
16,619 Posts
I have been reloading for 10 years and use Dillon Square Deal B on 32 S&W, 38 S&W, 38/357, 41 Mag, 44 mag (no longer), and 45 Colt. Just got a Hornady Lock"N" Load given to me so will now start 45 ACP (came with dies), 45-70, and 30-06. Know will be asking about the 45-70 and 30-06 but looks like lots of references here. I just enjoy it on a cold or rainy day.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Been reloading 11 years, and teaching the NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading classes for 6. In our classes, we actually bring a press, gauges and tools and reload .45 ACP together, taking it to the range to chronograph after the classroom stuff is complete.

I regularly reload pistol calibers 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .38 Special and .45 ACP. Reload rifle calibers as needed.

I'm using a Lyman single stage press and a Hornady progressive with a preference for Lyman and Hornady dies.

Most of my brass is range brass from my club, or single use brass from a friend that is a security guard responsible for qualification of his work team.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have been reloading for 10 years and use Dillon Square Deal B on 32 S&W, 38 S&W, 38/357, 41 Mag, 44 mag (no longer), and 45 Colt. Just got a Hornady Lock"N" Load given to me so will now start 45 ACP (came with dies), 45-70, and 30-06. Know will be asking about the 45-70 and 30-06 but looks like lots of references here. I just enjoy it on a cold or rainy day.
Hey Rodney congrats on the LNL HERE YOU GO SET IT UP LIKE HIS VIDEOS..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qC1O5FzSCA

thewelshm

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Started in 1968 with a Lee Loader in 30 Carbine, but couldn't get comfortable using a hammer to seat primers, but comfortable enough to pursue the game further. Got a RCBS Jr in '72, then added a Rockcuker later. Packed everything away in 1984, and just last year unpacked it. It was / is like starting all over again - still fun as heck. Load 30-30, .223, .270, 45ACP, 38/357, 45Colt. I don't shoot nearly enough to justify the process, but it is my escape from the world, and just plain fun.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Started in the early 1960's. 9mm, 38 spl., .357mag., 41 mag., 44 spl., 44 mag., .45 acp., .45 Colt, 50 AE, .223, 22-250, .243, 270Win., 7mm Mag., 30 Herrett, 30-30, .308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag., .375 H&H, 45-70, 12 ga.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I bought my first center fire firearm, a S&W S&W Mod. 15, and 1 box of factory loaded .38 special cartridges in 1953. I started in 1953, to gather the tools, and components to reload. I reloaded all of the many calibers of cartridges that I shot during my lifetime. My first loading press was a Lyman True Line Jr. The first die sets, were the ones that could be used ether in Lyman hand held 'tong tools', or their 'True Line Jr. Press'. I never bought another box of factory loaded cartridges again, unless I was unable to get the empty brass needed, any other way. I stopped reloading, when I stopped shooting a few years ago, I was, and still am, equipped to load fifteen different calibers. At the timed I stopped reloading, I had been doing it for 61 years. Thanks for sharing my long winded, true story.
Sut

·
Registered
6,516 Posts
About 40 years about the only thing I haven't gotten into is shotshells. I especially enjoy doing the metrics and tackling odd jobs. .401 Herter's Powermag is my most recent project. This summer I plan to continue with 8.15 X 46R.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I started with shotshells about 30 years ago, and can load 12, 16, and 20 gauge. About all the shotgun stuff I load anymore are 12ga pheasant loads. I'm out of business on 16 and 20 gauge guns.
I'm not sure how long ago I started loading handgun shells, probably 5 or 6 years. I load .38/.357 and 10mm.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Reloading experience? Started 6-7 years ago I reckon, about the time I dropped out of the serious work place. Started with a Lee single stage, then added a Rock Chucker, then stepped up to a LnL for the pistol loads: 9mm, 40, 38/357 and of course 45 ACP and LC. Then I moved on to feeding my 1903's and Garands, so 30-06 and added .308 calibers for the M1As and RPR and ..... oh look, there's one sweet 6.5 creed that's got me thinking and drooling, not necessarily in that order.

For reasons I won't get into, gave the LnL to the SIL. The LnL just wasn't suitable for rifle loads (too much flex in the plate, for my tastes) and upgraded to the Redding T-7.

Somewhere along the rifle loading path, I discovered that there is a difference in the terms of Reloader and Handloader. Specifically, the Reloader suffers the process to acquire "cheaper" ammo and the Handloader dwells on the process to the point of obsession "seeking the perfect load" for each weapon, whether handgun or longgun, he or she possess'es. I won't say how far I've gone down the Handloader road, but I find that I spend far more time tweaking a load for the bolt or semi-auto than "shooting". Hey, it's my thing. I know a couple of reloaders who are proud of being able to crank out a couple-three hundred rounds but then they're feeding their IPSC and 3 gun competition needs. Me, it may take a couple minutes to get just one, but, it'll be "perfect" as much as I can make it.

I've observed other Handloaders who have portable kits they bring to the range so they can tweak the loads as they shoot their test loads.

Now the pay it forward comment: When I started out, I received a lot of information, links and advice from this sites members. Learned a heck of a lot. I freely pass along what works for me to others who are just starting out.

Now, you're going to have to excuse me. UPS is delivering my latest order from Widener's: 1000 rounds of IMI 7.62 Match "VIRGIN" at .31 cents apiece, that if you believe the reviews, is comparable to LC Match or LR (which is almost impossible to get these days). This brass will be for the M1As. Gotta ream the primer pocket, uniform the pocket and ream the flash hole. Necessary? Lots of mention in the reviews about tight primer pockets and difficulty in seating the primers. Uh, guys, this is military brass. Swaging will fix that problem.

Yes, it's a curse. But the handloading stage of this game brings many hours of enjoyment (and frustration too) for me and isn't that what we're all seeking, no matter what path we've taken?

·
Registered
96 Posts
A most enjoyable hobby, one that has given me pleasure since about 1967. I load everything from 22 Hornet to 50/70. I really like making the old antique rifles shoot again so I am also into casting the proper lead bullets for them. That's a another spin off from reloading that is quite interesting. My favorite single station press is an RCBS Rockchucker and for high volume handgun loading I use the Dillon 550B.

The oddest rounds that I've loaded for (requiring case forming from other cases) were the 30 Nambu and the 38/45 (for the 38 calibre stage of the 2700 course using a 1911 frame) .41 Magnum shot loads and 45 ACP shot loads. I also form many of the cases that I use for the 7.7 Jap, the 7.65 Belgian and what not.
Cast Bullets-800-90%.jpg
45 Shot Loads 01-800-90%.jpg

View attachment 356097

21 - 40 of 63 Posts