Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the weight distribution and balance of the 8 round 627 5" versus the 5" 686+

How is the weight distribution and balance of the 8 round 627 5" versus the 5" 686 Plus Pro Center - and the 6" 686 Plus too - the former two seem to have their weight distribution more towards the cylinder because of their slabbed barrels, while the 686 6" seems to have an unslabbed, heavier weighting on the barrel?

also how does their trigger feel differ - does the tighter angling between the heavier 8 round cylinder offer a different trigger pull length or feel?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
My 686 is not a 7 shot but I have to say that my 627 Pro Series 8 shot is one of the most accurate guns that I own. I think the balance is perfect, moon clips make shooting a lot very easy, and the accuracy is amazing. Just for fun one day I walked over to the 100 yard target at our rifle range. I hit the 100 yard steel 5 out of 8 shots D/A. I was amazed. This gun came with the power rib main spring from the factory but the trigger pull/feel were nothing to write home about. I did a bit of stoning and replaced the rebound spring and the strain screw and the trigger is now 2lb. S/A and 8lb. D/A.

·
Registered
17,442 Posts
I have the 627-5 Pro Series and it is very well balanced. I use it in Bowling Pin and Steel shoots. The trigger is very smooth in DA and does have a seems to have a tiny flat spot to feel just before hammer falls. I have practiced enough with it that I use that little pause to set up for next target and like a hir trigger SA then. I like the moon clips as allows me to reload about as fast as the bottom feeders. I also have a 686 6" and shoots good but just does not feel as good as my N Frames.
S&W 627-5 (1).JPG

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, overall I am pretty set on the Performance Center 627 5" model, it is a thing of beauty and seems to suit my wants best for my reentry into shooting. I just like to be thorough in analyzing my purchases, especially given my pitiful fixed income. Also, it's gonna take months to save up, and I have too much spare time on my hands heh. And god help me when I get it, because then it's gonna be time to start agonizing over grips and sights and all other sorts of fun things. Man, I miss that clockwork ticking of a good revolver. And the bangs. But it's that wonderful clockwork feel of a well designed revolver that gives me so much joy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts