Smith And Wesson Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Rugersandsmiths, I know you're excited to shoot it and you should be for many reasons, but you're going to find it's different from your Model 10 in many ways. The weight and increased recoil is obvious, but the trigger action between a J-Frame (Model 37) and the K-Frame (your Model 10) are VERY different. In order to make the smaller size work, the J-frame mechanism isn't the same engineered design and it can be felt by a stiffer, less smooth action. They can be worked by a gunsmith to 'smooth' things out to a degree, which I've had done and have been pleased, but they simply are not like a K and definitely not an L or N frame model. Don't get me wrong, I love J-Frames and have many, just be prepared for a difference and don't allow that to be a disappointment, they're just not the same gun, nothing out of place or broken, just different. You'll see what I mean just by dry-firing and you'll have it down before you ever hit the range! Have fun and we do expect a full report along with the mandatory pictures! :D
I still haven't shot my Model 10! I know it's crazy, but It's the Peru Police 2" and it's just so pretty, it appears to have never been fired. There's no drag line at all. Pretty much all I've done is waxed it, over and over.
It's just soooo pretty, but I do know need to at least make sure it works.

I just got rid of a Ruger 357 LCR a few months ago. It had the smoothest trigger I've ever felt right out of the box. I could stage it at about 95% and hold it there however long I wanted,...................click.

Between the size difference and the weight difference of the 36 and the 10, I can imagine they will shoot night and day differently.

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
rugersandsmiths;283645 I just got rid of a Ruger 357 LCR a few months ago. It had the smoothest trigger I've ever felt right out of the box. I could stage it at about 95% and hold it there however long I wanted said:
My son owns an LCR and I agree it has a great trigger action, his is not a .357, but 38 Special, I doubt it matters. It might be seen on this site as blasphemy, but the action is smoother than any S&W J-frame I've ever shot!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
My son owns an LCR and I agree it has a great trigger action, his is not a .357, but 38 Special, I doubt it matters. It might be seen on this site as blasphemy, but the action is smoother than any S&W J-frame I've ever shot!
I agree, but nobody will see this. ;). It's hidden pretty deep within this thread. lol

Does his have the crimson trace on it?

·
Registered
415 Posts
BC I also need all the help I can get. At my age I also forget most of the
help I do get so keep the info coming. Tom

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I carried one like that for many years. Then my wife glommed onto it. She finally bought a 642 and I got it back. By then I had a couple of other nice J frames so I traded it for an old .455 HE Mk II. Gonna trade it for sawed off Model 1917 Saturday.

I still carry a 640-1 one a lot of the time.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I know I'm late to the party here...I mean the post. I agree with Blackcloud2. I, too, have a Ruger LCR in .38, and trigger action is great. It's my cc whenever I have a need to cc, mostly my early morning walks, but a few other times, too.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Rugersandsmiths, I know you're excited to shoot it and you should be for many reasons, but you're going to find it's different from your Model 10 in many ways. The weight and increased recoil is obvious, but the trigger action between a J-Frame (Model 37) and the K-Frame (your Model 10) are VERY different. In order to make the smaller size work, the J-frame mechanism isn't the same engineered design and it can be felt by a stiffer, less smooth action. They can be worked by a gunsmith to 'smooth' things out to a degree, which I've had done and have been pleased, but they simply are not like a K and definitely not an L or N frame model. Don't get me wrong, I love J-Frames and have many, just be prepared for a difference and don't allow that to be a disappointment, they're just not the same gun, nothing out of place or broken, just different. You'll see what I mean just by dry-firing and you'll have it down before you ever hit the range! Have fun and we do expect a full report along with the mandatory pictures! :D
What the Model 37 lacks in weight, makes it great to carry, but it's a handful when it goes bang. More accurate than I thought it would be but not a "fun" gun to shoot. Made me love my Model 10 2 1/2" barrel and want my 357 LCR (that I sold) back. I may sell this and get a 357 LCR again.

Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Why doesn't that picture show up?

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,134 Posts
What the Model 37 lacks in weight, makes it great to carry, but it's a handful when it goes bang...not a "fun" gun to shoot
yep.. dang physics again.. that's why those snub, round butt m19's/m66's get the premium $..

I think rubber boot style grips or banana's; and a lighter self-defense load (I like the hornady critical defense 38 +P) will help your J frame out..

once I put these grips on this 36 and some wolf springs and minor trigger smoothing, it replaced the bodyguard .38 for every day carry.. not k frame fun - but much better in the hand than the lightweights..

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 · (Edited)
yep.. dang physics again.. that's why those snub, round butt m19's/m66's get the premium $..

I think rubber boot style grips or banana's; and a lighter self-defense load (I like the hornady critical defense 38 +P) will help your J frame out..

once I put these grips on this 36 and some wolf springs and minor trigger smoothing, it replaced the bodyguard .38 for every day carry.. not k frame fun - but much better in the hand than the lightweights..
I can imagine, but I can't really afford to blow through critical defense rounds at the range or plinking. Instead of replacing the grips, which are what make it look so sweet, I'm gonna replace the gun,....with a 36,....or an LCR 357,...or both!

41 - 51 of 51 Posts