Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had always assumed you should carry your gun ready to shoot. I just got a new holster and it said on the paperwork, "Do not carry with a cartridge in the chamber". Is that just a "CYA"? How do you carry your gun?

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
It's important to carry a firearm that is ready for use. The video of the recent White Settlement Texas church shooting confirms this. One defender lost his life because he could not access and fire his handgun (from a middle of the back holster, under an interfering T-Shirt and over garment) before the attacker stopped him.

The safety features of firearms can fail. This is why you inspect them, and ensure that they operate properly.

A holster must be designed to cover the trigger guard completely, as well as protect the safety mechanism operating levers from accidental movement while carrying.

I don't recommend retention holsters for civilian concealed carry use because the firearm should never be in view and vulnerable as in open carry. It just adds a failure point and potential interference to drawing.

Sounds to me like a holster manufacturer trying to deflect legal liability. I'd return it and get one from someone that stands behind their customers and their products.

In any case, it's your obligation to train on how to accomplish the draw cycle properly, consistently, smoothly and safely.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Just my personal philosophy, so take it for what it's worth:

All my carry SA's are decocker models. I'm just not comfortable with "cocked & locked". Main reason is that I'm not interested in dealing with a safety when I'm already stressed because someone is trying , at that instant, to kill me. Second, I'm not trusting about mechanical safeties.

I usually pocket carry for small frame guns, else OWB strong side for comfort and ease of access. I do have one IWB holster and tried it last week. It's surprisingly comfortable at ~ 3:00. I'm too chubby for appendix carry. I have a number of shoulder holsters, but almost never use them. Exception is camp carry of the 460.

I get OWB's with a snap strap, IWB has no strap at all.

I'm with Marc- sounds like CYA on the part of the manufacturer

·
Premium Member
6,791 Posts
I pocket carry an LCP. No manual safety to fumble with. Squeeze trigger = bang.

Know and understand how your carry gun operates.

If you are new to guns or carry or both, and feel uneasy at first that's totally understandable. Even experienced folks can feel uneasy and self-conscious when they first carry. For those who do, it's not a crime to carry without one in the chamber until you're feeling a bit more comfortable about things. That said, understand that modern firearms are designed to safely carry loaded.

The most likely time to have an unintentional discharge is holstering and handling. Keep your paws off the gun while carrying unless you intend to defend yourself with it. Do that, and the odds of having an unintentional discharge while carrying are nil.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Always one in the chamber. Lately I have been carrying my revolvers more so its ready to go but if I carry my CZ10C or any other semi auto it always has one in the pipe ready to go.

Yes .. you should take due diligence when holstering and if the holster is a softer leather or becomes soft .. toss it and buy a new one or do a hard wax. With kydex you dont need to worry.

Clothing is your enemy and be sure when holstering that your shirt tails or other things dont get in the trigger guard.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
If you carry a gun w/ an empty chamber you may as well leave it @ home. Ask anyone whose been there how much time you have to work the slide or even thumb off a safety. When a thug just leaped out from between cars in a parking lot & knocked you down or you're trying to hold him off w/ 1 hand as he drags you out of your car (or a dozen other scenarios) exactly how are you going to chamber a round? Revolver or auto, I carry so all I have to do is mash the bang switch... even that seems to take forever when things suddenly go south.

·
Banned
917 Posts
It's a CYA. Companies these days are all about liability avoidance, and theft prevention, If they put half as much money into their product, as they did BS
consumers, they would have a product actually worth stealing, that they couldn't get sued over.

·
Registered
21,997 Posts
When I carry my revolver for EDC it's also positioned at 5:00 for easy, quick access. Same with my semi auto's and always one in the chamber ready to go if needed!;)

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
1,627 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
How do you carry your gun?

I carry my 9mm Shield 8+1, iwb @3:30, in a kydex holster, safety on.

I do alot of dry fire practice, and swiping the safety off as soon as it clears the holster is second nature. As is keeping my trigger finger out of the trigger guard until my sights are lined up with my target.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,572 Posts
I carry one or two handguns.

The S&W Shield is good.

Shield.JPG

Shielda.JPG

I am also 100% with a Colt 1911 Government 1911 .45 ACP.

GCa.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts