Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum and am not a collector but have a few S&W revolvers. I hope you don't mind a newby question. If I should be looking at a particular information thread, please point me there and I apologize for the dumb questions.

I have been looking at posts and I see people id guns as, for example a Model 19-1, etc. As far as I can see the model # is not on the gun, just a serial number on the bottom of the butt.

I have an older 357 that I think is a Model 19, but don't know for sure, it's been in my safe a long time and I don't even recall where I picked it up.

How do determine exactly what it is?

Thanks, joedog

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, Joedog! Post some pictures of your gun and give us the serial number, you can X out the last two or three digits in that if it concerns you. The serial number is usually on the butt of the gun and maybe underneath the stocks.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
Is the model number stamped under the cylinder crane?

Nice revolver. That wide target trigger looks like it would feel good to shoot.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Very nice! Has the target hammer and target trigger. Most likely would have shipped with Target stocks also. Remove the rubber grips and oil the metal underneath. Moisture tends to accumulate under them and cause rust on the grip frame. Your gun shipped in 1973.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice! Has the target hammer and target trigger. Most likely would have shipped with Target stocks also. Remove the rubber grips and oil the metal underneath. Moisture tends to accumulate under them and cause rust on the grip frame. Your gun shipped in 1973.
Thank you.
joedog

·
Premium Member
21,029 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Nice .357 Magnum!

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Welcome aboard,sir! Very nice Smith. As stated, remove those rubber stocks and put a light coat of gun oil on the frame. A prime spot for rust! Hank

1 - 11 of 11 Posts