Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was 70 here this afternoon with very little wind. I loaded the wife and some 22s and headed to the
range. The roads are falling through in places so it was a slow trip.
We took the wifes MK2 ruger and I took a s&w and a Dan Wesson. We boudgt some ammo last weekend so I didn't feel too bad about shooting some of it. Billie gave me another shooting lesson, she shoots my guns better than I do. I took one little Rem rifle with me. I forgot my goof balls on a string so I cut the rifle shooting short. Here are the guns we took today.
Cliff

Attachments

· Registered
49,042 Posts
Bought a CZ rifle at the LGS, picked up a battery for my Corvette key-fob, went by Sportsman's Warehouse and sadly looked at the empty ammo shelves. Came home and perused gun forums.
Beats scraping and sanding kitchen cabinets while standing on a step in preparation for repainting

Reactions: msharley and Cliff

· Registered
573 Posts
Getting darn nice here.....but with the thaw, it’s pretty muddy.

Feed our bees today......then did a little shooting!

I’m still trying to get my 460 S&W (8 3/8” XVR) loads “ironed-out”! I finally got the velocities (plus a little) that I wanted, 1440 fps with my homegrown 400 grain cast bullets, with very good 100 yard accuracy (4 of 5 shots at 3” from a rest). However, I’m still having some heavy extraction issues. I’m hoping to ease the pressures back, without sacrificing too much velocity and maintain good grouping! I’m using a 3 mil red dot reflex sight.....so I’m very pleased with the groups that I’m getting. I’m hoping that it will make a 150 yard handgun for big game hunting! memtb

· Registered
12,351 Posts
High 40's /low 50's. Changed the oil on the Suburban and Trailblazer and greased the suspension on the 'burban (11 Zerks!).

Reactions: Cliff

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Getting darn nice here.....but with the thaw, it’s pretty muddy.

Feed our bees today......then did a little shooting!

I’m still trying to get my 460 S&W (8 3/8” XVR) loads “ironed-out”! I finally got the velocities (plus a little) that I wanted, 1440 fps with my homegrown 400 grain cast bullets, with very good 100 yard accuracy (4 of 5 shots at 3” from a rest). However, I’m still having some heavy extraction issues. I’m hoping to ease the pressures back, without sacrificing too much velocity and maintain good grouping! I’m using a 3 mil red dot reflex sight.....so I’m very pleased with the groups that I’m getting. I’m hoping that it will make a 150 yard handgun for big game hunting! memtb
Hey M,

400gr pill? 1400fps? = 45/70!

At a guess? You could back off a grain, maybe two! :LOL:

Have you tried 10 or 12 grains of Unique? (I use 13 to 14gr of Universal or Unique in the 45/70) :LOL:

Have FUN!

Later, Mark

Reactions: memtb

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Hey Cliff,

Sounds like you & the Mrs. had a great day!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: Curt360 and Cliff

· Registered
573 Posts
Hey M,

400gr pill? 1400fps? = 45/70!

At a guess? You could back off a grain, maybe two! :LOL:

Have you tried 10 or 12 grains of Unique? (I use 13 to 14gr of Universal or Unique in the 45/70) :LOL:

Have FUN!

Later, Mark

Hey Mark,

I did run a few 45-70’s across the chrono also.....430’s at around 1815 average. That was the last of a small test group. I’d have to check my notes, but I think these were 2 grains above a group that shot really great. In search of the “Holy Grail”, I bumped these up and more than doubled the group size! The great groups were at 1780, pleased with velocities, but hoped to shrink the groups a “wee bit”! Looks like 1780 is the magic number with that bullet!

The 460 loads are 100 fps slower than the CorBon 395’s.....so, I thought that 1400 was a reasonable expectation! My goal is an accurate, easily extracted case load at 1400 fps. I may not get there! 🤔

I’m using 13.0 (I think) grains of Unique under my 300 grain cast bullets for a real sweet and tame “plinking” load @ around 1100 fps! memtb

Reactions: Cliff and msharley

· Registered
573 Posts
Good for you and the lady of the house....glad y’all had a good outing. Nothing like enjoying a nice warm evening doing some shooting! 👍

Yesterday, the wife and I ran a couple hundred 22LR’s through a couple of Ruger LCP 22LR’s that we had recently purchased. With the warm days (near 50), the wife and I are getting out a bit more these days! memtb

Reactions: Cliff and msharley

· Premium Member
3,095 Posts
We were in Mount Airy midmorning till early afternoon walked six plus miles at Riverside Park and then went to Arbys and had a fish sandwich. Not a thing related to firearms other than the concealed carry of our EDC. The weather was pleasant and we meant some interesting characters along with tidbits of conversation.

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Nice cool day here on the NW FL Gulf Coast. Looking at a 13 Tacoma, 97k miles, 6 cyl. Has an aftermarket brake system for a trailer mounted under the dash, at least I think that’s what it was, which gives me pause that the truck was pulling some serious loads. Got them down to $23k, plus the add ons. No probs noted on Carfax. Any wisdom out there for me? Never had a truck before.

· Registered
12,065 Posts
Hey C,

Some Toyotos had a frame problem...

Toyoto did replace the frame under warranty....

Later, Mark

· Registered
573 Posts
Nice cool day here on the NW FL Gulf Coast. Looking at a 13 Tacoma, 97k miles, 6 cyl. Has an aftermarket brake system for a trailer mounted under the dash, at least I think that’s what it was, which gives me pause that the truck was pulling some serious loads. Got them down to $23k, plus the add ons. No probs noted on Carfax. Any wisdom out there for me? Never had a truck before.
Maybe not very serious loads! We do a lot of towing, 5th wheel (20 K pounds), gooseneck trailer (15K pounds), boats ( about 4K pounds). The “only” thing we own that “does not” have brakes is a 12’ utility trailer.....and I wish it did! All campers/travel trailers (except the tiny little ones) have brakes. Many campers do not exceed 4K pounds......light trailers are in high demand by many people! Most people do not tow weights higher than the truck is rated for....though it can and does happen! memtb

Good luck in finding and getting what you want! memtb

Reactions: msharley

· Registered
1,057 Posts
Maybe not very serious loads! We do a lot of towing, 5th wheel (20 K pounds), gooseneck trailer (15K pounds), boats ( about 4K pounds). The “only” thing we own that “does not” have brakes is a 12’ utility trailer.....and I wish it did! All campers/travel trailers (except the tiny little ones) have brakes. Many campers do not exceed 4K pounds......light trailers are in high demand by many people! Most people do not tow weights higher than the truck is rated for....though it can and does happen! memtb

Good luck in finding and getting what you want! memtb
Thanks for your reply. cw

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.