Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy some parts to repair a revolver that has been in the family for awhile. I quickly noticed a bewildering assortment of part numbers within a single model. I have zero idea of how to order the right parts when there are so many different sub categories within one single model.

My revolver is a Model 10 with a two inch barrel. SN is C 353407 with the cylinder crane markings of 4 above 32188. What exact magic information do I need in order to find the right parts for this revolver?

Also, I have found schematics of the Model 10 online showing numbered parts in the exploded drawing but, of course, there was no description of what the part actually is called. Where can I find an exploded drawing of a Model 10 with the part names?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
The serial number is all that matters. The other numbers are just assembly numbers and are of no importance once the gun leaves the factory. S&W would possibly have the parts you need. I think gun parts world ( Numrich Arms) has schematics on line.

·
Super Moderator
11,056 Posts
I would like to buy some parts to repair a revolver that has been in the family for awhile. I quickly noticed a bewildering assortment of part numbers within a single model. I have zero idea of how to order the right parts when there are so many different sub categories within one single model.

My revolver is a Model 10 with a two inch barrel. SN is C 353407 with the cylinder crane markings of 4 above 32188. What exact magic information do I need in order to find the right parts for this revolver?

Also, I have found schematics of the Model 10 online showing numbered parts in the exploded drawing but, of course, there was no description of what the part actually is called. Where can I find an exploded drawing of a Model 10 with the part names?
Check out gunparts.com. Their exploded drawings have corresponding part names below them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,000 Posts
so more specifically - a pre-model 10 from mid 1950's

thats a K frame, with a C series serial number - so generally, most of the parts will interchange from the very late 40's thru the 1960's..

as series guy said, Numrich has schematics with parts numbers online and will usually indicate when there are significant variations..
You can look at the part numbers in the schematics and then see more about that part key in the actual product listing.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/smith-wesson/revolvers-sw/10-sw

·
Premium Member
11,643 Posts
Does it say Model 10? That serial number is lower than the normal switch over from the .38M&P to the Model number series. The change over occurred somewhere between C436xxx to C437xxx. The standard catalog of Smith & Wesson places your serial number between 1954 and 1956 (C277555 - C402923). Assuming equal shipment through those months you could make a good case for a 1955 shipping date but the fact it is a 2" barrel would skew that date.

welcome01 to the forum.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Premium Member
11,643 Posts

Does this help?

temporary image upload

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, this revolver is actually a M&P model and pre Model 10? How does the 2" barrel skew the date, newer or older? How does that effect the parts
that I order?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Most of the parts will interchange from the late 40s thru 1960s". Are the parts listed by year? How do I identify the parts that will fit before buying them?

·
Super Moderator
11,056 Posts
"Most of the parts will interchange from the late 40s thru 1960s". Are the parts listed by year? How do I identify the parts that will fit before buying them?
This is more a problem with the model numbered examples and the later engineering changes. 10-1, 10-2, etc. the barrel length shouldn’t matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts