Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a new member and hoping someone can help me identify an antique S&W I purchased recently. I am really clueless when it comes to guns but I would love to know what I have.

I believe it is an 1877 32 Revolver but really don't know. Serial numbers match. 24355

Thanks in advance

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
A .32 Single Action, no model no. that I can find, produced from 1878 to 1892. Your ser. no. would place it in the first half of that period. I THINK it was the first S&W chambered for the .32 CF, previous .32s being RFs.

Never had a spur-trigger, but I think they'd make me a little nervous when cocked, as there's no place to rest your finger but ON the trigger; very popular, none the less.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
IIRC it chambers .32 shorts (still available). If you can post a pic with the hammer back we can tell if it's RF or CF for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you too .... we really appreciate any and all exchange of information. We will post pics with the hammer back.

IIRC it chambers .32 shorts (still available). If you can post a pic with the hammer back we can tell if it's RF or CF for sure.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Center Fire is still available & it's reloadable, Rim-Fire is not. If you buy ammo for it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sure you can sell it, though they aren't worth a great deal. Someone beter acquainted with current values may be able to help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. Its always good to learn something new.

Center Fire is still available & it's reloadable, Rim-Fire is not. If you buy ammo for it, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Sure you can sell it, though they aren't worth a great deal. Someone beter acquainted with current values may be able to help.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Well, it looks like it's been replated once already. In that condition, it's not worth too much- maybe $150 on a good day. It'd be fun to shoot . Go to ammoseek.com and type in .32S&W (NOT .32 LONG) get a box of ammo and give her a whirl. :)

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Your gun is a .32 Model 1-1/2 single action revolver. It's clearly an antique from likely the 1880's. This revolver is not considered a gun by BATF since it is an antique. So, you can sell it or give it to anyone or mail it to anyone. It will chamber .32 S&W (short) which is still available at some big box sporting goods stores. Modern smokeless ammo is okay to shoot since its pressure was designed for these old guns. It appears to have been refinished (plated) at some point in its life which basically kills any collector value. The plating has deteriorated and there is rust showing. I would not expect it to bring much at sale...maybe $150.

(Dang, Del...great minds and all that... :D }

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is very kind of both of you delcrossv and Wiregrassguy to share so much valuable information. It's really priceless to know more about the gun. I think I got rid of some ammo that I got at the sale too and Im pretty sure it would've worked. I actually got a good bit of ammo and it will be in a local auction at on the first tuesday of July. Perhaps I will take the advice and get some new ammo and give it a whirl. Who knows? Unless one of yall would be interested in purchasing it.

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts
Thanks for the offer, but I'm not collecting any new gun at the moment. You might want to check that ammo you have. It could be old and valuable. If it is black powder, you might want to post pictures of the box and the cartridge headstamps so the ammo experts can weigh in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All of the ammo was loose, there were no boxes. Its scheduled for the upcoming auction and no longer in my possession. I don't know if I could take it back but I might have to see. Thanks again!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not collecting any new gun at the moment. You might want to check that ammo you have. It could be old and valuable. If it is black powder, you might want to post pictures of the box and the cartridge headstamps so the ammo experts can weigh in.

·
Super Moderator
33,363 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
19,140 Posts
S&W decided that the .32 guns were half way between the Model 1 and Model 2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts