Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the ladies I’m working with to improve her shooting skills needs a shotgun for defense around the farm. She has two bad shoulders, so the concept is to teach her to fire from the hip. I’m thinking in terms of a 20 ga semiautomatic. She has tried a youth model 1100 and that seems to suit her as far as ease of handling/ size. I see a number of 20 ga semis on GunBroker, but don’t have much confidence in the Turkish made semis or the Charles Daly guns. I have no experience with either piece. Suggestions? Hank

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I’ll give it a look Jonesy, thanks! Hank
Be sure and get the youth model of whatever you get............or you'll have to cut the stock to shorten it.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
I would not waste the time for firing from the hip - she isn't a Hollywood actor - look at a 410 semi like the 1100. With today's loads developed for The Judge and similar guns, 410 defensive and pest loads have never been better.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
If she has bad shoulders, shooting with the buttstock tight under the arm can be very accurate with a little practice.

And at in-house ranges.......it will work just fine.

I'd not go smaller than a 20 gauge, though.........at close range you also want to end it with one shot if possible.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! That helps a lot. I’m thinking the youth model is the best fit for her, as verminator said. Also, thinking 2 3/4” 20 gauge with #3 buck is the smallest load. I’ll check the Mossberg. Seems to fit her budget the best. 1100 LT’s are bringing big money, even used.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
#3 buck will have some serious recoil......you might want to start with real light target loads and work from there

·
Registered
17,473 Posts
I just traded for a Franchi 48-AL and it seems to be easy to carry and very well made. Trade value was 400.00.
I think the #3 or #4 buckshot should do the job.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
12 gauge mossberg 930. Low recoil buckshot is cheap and low report as well. No kick. Dependable and affordable.

·
Registered
12,645 Posts
I’ll give it a look Jonesy, thanks! Hank
That was the first retailer that came up when I googled 20 gauge Mossberg. I have no idea if they are reliable or not, but used that to show a link to the gun I was talking about. I have a 20 gauge Mossberg pump and can attest that #3 Buckshot has a hefty recoil, about like shooting a 3" magnum turkey load. Might work out pretty good though with the butt stock under the arm, but I would start lighter

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
12 gauge mossberg 930. Low recoil buckshot is cheap and low report as well. No kick. Dependable and affordable.
And that ammo is basically made of unobtainium right not now

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just picked up 2 10-round boxes of Federal 12ga #4 buck Shortys at Sportsmen's Warehouse today... and left 2 on the shelf. Might go back tomorrow ($6.99 each).

I have a little Turkish single-shot break-action folding shotgun to drop in a pack - weighs only 5lb and does nothing to lessen recoil, so it only gets the light/short rounds.

I have 1oz & 7/8 oz 1200-1300 fps rounds, and 7/8 oz 7 1/2 shot 1100 fps rounds as well.

They (and it) are good enough for an emergency small game/small bird hunting gun.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
"And that ammo is basically made of unobtainium right not now"

ASW has all the buckshot ammo you need..in stock right now and even ship directly to the commiewealth of taxachewshitts. I really don't know how all these ammo shortage stories get started..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts