Smith And Wesson Forums banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
While I wouldn't volunteer to take a shot of either one I prefer buckshot ! I don't want to take a chance of maybe making a meth head mad when he is all hyped up looking for something to steal for his next fix !
lethal impact of birdshot + buckshot at normal in house distances are equal - basic physics , mass , weight , + velocity - take both loads + try them against a movable steel plate - actual shot gun impacts are much different then portrayed in the movies + television --

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
We have more than one gun loaded at all times in the house. We are very rural and different guns may be loaded for 4 legged critters. I figure I’ll use what is closest at the time one is needed for any two legged critters. Unless there is time to make a choice. While each has a purpose all of the are capable of killing someone. All that said nothing gets attention like racking a round into a pump shotgun and when stressed I would prefer the shotgun. But like in some of my handguns I have different rounds loaded. The shot gun has 1 round of #5 birdshot followed by #4 Buckshot. Hopefully never have to use them on a two legger as the popo tend to be overzealous in their response and want to “secure” all your firearms.

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
37 Posts
Base Legal/JAG advised us the same for military personnel living off base in certain states. They said to use a good Birdshot load FIRST followed by Buckshot for Home Defense. Their legal logic was that if the first shotshell (bird) wasn't enough to get the message across once the perp crossed the interior home threshold, and light them up with the following shotshell (buck) if needed. Obviously, you can't just empty a mag tube into them...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Birdshot vs buck for home SD will be debated until Jesus comes back. Here's how I see it, bottom line.
An intruder is normally going to be around 20' - 30' from you. One shot of ANYTHING is likely to end their forward motion.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Lets not forget "racking of a pump gun" the sound puts fear into the intruder and they run away!:rolleyes:

OP you need to change your name to BirdShotDave:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Base Legal/JAG advised us the same for military personnel living off base in certain states. They said to use a good Birdshot load FIRST followed by Buckshot for Home Defense. Their legal logic was that if the first shotshell (bird) wasn't enough to get the message across once the perp crossed the interior home threshold, and light them up with the following shotshell (buck) if needed. Obviously, you can't just empty a mag tube into them...
Man, that must have been better then 15-20 + years ago, I cannot imagine a JAG in ANY service today saying anything other than; "Guns, outside of the extremely limited scope of your assigned MOS, are inherently bad, and should be avoided, and are not authorized in base housing at all."

Lets not forget "racking of a pump gun" the sound puts fear into the intruder and they run away!:rolleyes:

OP you need to change your name to BirdShotDave:)
Covered two posts up by M48A1... (it did take a while to surface though...)

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
37 Posts
@ #30... "for military personnel living off base in certain states".

For us Marine 03's living off base with legally own & registered firearms, our JAG/SJA would always remind us of our legal limitations when dealing with the personnel. Self/Home Defense is not the same as Combat Operations and for the most part, we all appreciated JAG/SJA ensuring we all knew the differences (& the potential consequences in civilian court).

Here in my part of GA, Birdshot is much lower in cost than Buckshot so I'm gonna snatch up a few case of #7 & #8 from these "Black Friday" sales tomorrow and let 'em rip.

·
Registered
21,316 Posts
Save the #6 birdshot......just in case .......you're ever attacked by a Turkey!!!! That would be all that birdshot is good for!!!!! Use only Buckshot # 0,00,000 to protect your life. Bob

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
A few years ago, I was in a debate about whether birdshot or buckshot should be used for home defense. Of course, this would be for people that prefer a shotgun for home defense, which is another debate within itself.

I say birdshot would be the correct shot, and did a video on it. The audio is a bit low, I've since added an external mic.
Dave
You have birds breaking into your home?
If not, shoot the round that works best for the critter breaking in.
My choice would be buckshot for bear, hog, wolf, or similar sized critters.

As a painter (with no experience repairing buller holes), I would think that buckshot would be easier to repair.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love the shotgun at handgun distances.

It’s fallen out of favor but 00 buckshot works for me. When working I used #4 buck but now I’m retired.

If I’m using a firearm for defense I want to stop the threat instantly not thirty minutes after the encounter. Give me buckshot or slugs.

Birdshot is likely to not have the penetration I desire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
🎖USMC, Retired
37 Posts
Speaking of Buckshot, we picked up a Fabarm STF/12 12ga this week. Have to admit that it is a VERY nice pump-action shotgun with the same controls as a Remington 870. Going to be comparing it to our Benelli's (M3 and SuperNova) using 00 Buck and 3" Slugs as well as a few cases of Birdshot to break in the action of the STF/12. All outside on a 25-50 yard range and NOT indoors (of course...). The new STF/12 is on top, followed by the SuperNova, and then the M3.
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Shotgun
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Reactions: WendyZXZ
21 - 40 of 40 Posts