Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago, I was in a debate about whether birdshot or buckshot should be used for home defense. Of course, this would be for people that prefer a shotgun for home defense, which is another debate within itself.

I say birdshot would be the correct shot, and did a video on it. The audio is a bit low, I've since added an external mic.
Dave

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmho -
at common in house distances [ 30 feet or less ] bird shot does not spread much from even open chokes + has same impact as buck shot or slugs - also is much less likely to over penetrate + less hazard for adjoining rooms + people - lots of tests in numerous books + magazines showing this -
25", full choke #7 1/2
Art Audio equipment Gas Wood Font

·
Registered
692 Posts
I generally keep an Ortgies .32 full of surplus ball ammo as my backup, too, preferring to leave my G32 full of unnecessarily hot Speer Gold Dots in the safe, where it won’t hurt anyone either…

I’d like to see some of you bird-shoters choose between an open box of Win AAs vs. Federal 00 Buck at 0200 when you hear your downstairs window getting smashed in…

“What? You mean the ***t’s actually happening!!?? Well, low brass 8’s for me then…” :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
19,467 Posts
Only own 1 shotgun. 45 cal FMJ in the nightsand for me as in Kmber full size with a CT laser. Shot gun pellets make too much of a mess outta drywall. besides the dog will announce any stranger.

·
Registered
143 Posts
as per a multitude of published test any buck shot or slug will completely penetrate with plenty of energy to do harm any interior or exterior walls or ceilings with the exception of solid brick or stone construction - home defense is stressful enough with out having to worry about other occupants or neighbors being harmed or killed -

·
Registered
19,467 Posts

·
Registered
5,085 Posts
Point is this topic has been beaten to death

Sure bird shot in the face will certainly put a hurt on someone But it's for birds. For other critters use the ammo that is made for such

I think a shotgun for inside SD is dumb anyway, So that is a whole other topic,

·
Super Moderator
35,619 Posts
Here the choice is buckshot. We have more Federal 2.75" 00 buckshot but when we picked up the Mossberg 590 here the place was selling ammo cans of the loads and they were cheap, extremely cheap by today's standards so we picked up two cans of 175 rounds.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts