Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I just bought a few hundred rounds of 9mm 124gr direct from Federal Premium. About .46 per round. FMJ

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
.48/rnd is still $480 per thousand, which is more than double the price of the olden days.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Nope, they are not. :(

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
The gun stores have plenty of the expensive ammo, paid $39 for 50 yesterday in 9mm

Thewelshm

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Obviously you don't drive down the road I'm on and by my place or you'd hear (and probably see us) out back shooting. You can see my shooting bench from the road if you know where to look. Big booms too, from big firearms. Don't shoot the small stuff as a rule.

·
Super Moderator
14,087 Posts
I guess I loaded up $100 $135 worth of ammo yesterday... (4 boxes of 50)...

It looks so nice in it's plastic boxes... Gotta do that again today!

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
I never used to reload .9mm & .40 as they were cheap enough. I think I'm going to set up the press, I have the dies the bullets and the powder :)

never reloaded for an automatic. Jonesey may hop in here in a min with advice?

thewelshm

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
I never used to reload .9mm & .40 as they were cheap enough. I think I'm going to set up the press, I have the dies the bullets and the powder :)

thewelshm
Automatics, by their very nature (recoil or blow back cycling) have much more sloppy chamber tolerances than a manual in battery handgun or rifle, which, is why you can use an automated (to some extent) reloading outfit. The sloppy tolerances for propellant, bullet seating and case prep don't work with a manual feed or bolt gun.

The average semi auto will eat about anything. A bolt gun won't.

·
Registered
black powder shooter
4,144 Posts
seen plenty of ad's on local trader offering to trade their 1K rounds of 'something' for your Glock of 'something'..

·
Registered
15,679 Posts

thewelshm
Don't over crimp. Do just enough to remove any flare.Check OAL by doing the plunk test. Round should drop right into the barrel/chamber. Need any spacifics, just holler

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Prices are really bad, when you can find ammo. Glad I stocked up in 2018 & 19. Took a quick stock check a few days ago and I have almost 3000 rounds of 9mm (mostly fmj) and about the same in .45 ACP. Only around 1500 rounds of .38 special. Much less in .357, 40 and .44, but I don't shoot those as much. That does not count my working supply that I pick from on the way to the range. I have enough components to load maybe half that much of each caliber. Wish I had some more cans of about 3 powders I use and small rifle match primers, but I am OK. .22LR is measured in the 10's of thousands - I did learn some from the Obama shortage. Wish I had bought more of everything when prices and supply were more normal, but I will not pay today's prices until I get desperate. Afraid it will be this time next year before we see good supply again.

·
Registered
15,679 Posts
Getting lower than I would like on small pistol primers, but I did just finish loading about 800 rounds of 38 special and probably near that in 9mm. I also have at least 500 rounds of factory ammo on hand for 45, 357 and 38, with a good 1500 rounds of 9mm. I think I have plenty of magnum small pistol and large pistol primers to last til this time next year. I will probably be shooting a bit more 22 than usual over the next year since I have around 15,000 of them. I should probably get my name on a few websites for notification on when primers become available.
The area Walmart used to carry CCI primers. That was really convenient because I would go there every couple weeks for groceries and would pick up a few hundred primers each trip

·
Premium Member
3,100 Posts
This is going to be rude but those with out ammunition and or components did or do you have your head where the sun don't shine. How many times do you have to go thru these events before you learn this is becoming and occurrence of some regularity! I have a stock of commercial ammunition and components for reloading. Look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

·
Registered
20,043 Posts
Exactly... well stated.

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Registered
28,348 Posts
LGS has 45ACP for $22.99/box; not bad at all; had a pallet of Wolf 7.62x39 on the floor

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I was just at Academy and checked the ammo shelves. Maybe a half dozen boxes of obscure caliber ammo and some shotgun ammo were there. Given that they cut the space alotted to ammo by about 2/3 several months ago, this means that supply is indeed less, while demand is high. It’s not just demand.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts