Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a "Holly Grail" gun shortly after buying a 4" Python in mint condition.

It's an Officer Model Target in .38 Spl. that appears to be unfired. It's one of the last generation of that model and of course, predates the Python. The seller had the original receipt for $85. As you might expect, I paid a little more than that for it .... ;>)

So, this begs the question - do I preserve them in their present condition for someone else to own someday or do I shoot and enjoy them while also giving them loving care?

Having survived more close calls in my lifetime than I care to recall and a 2nd time survivor of the "Big C", I will shoot them. A gun I do not/cannot shoot is an expensive paper weight.
In order to finance this gun, I sold a pristine Tranter .450 Army to a gentleman who said that owning such a gun was on his "Bucket List". He asked me if it would be a travesty to shoot it and I assured him that I had shot it on a few occasions. I even sent him 50 rds of ammo for it.

·
Registered
21,500 Posts
Must agree with you as I shoot all my guns and do take good care of them. I figure I want to enjoy them and experience shooting them. Think you will like that Officer's Model Target as mine is accurate and is fun as it is a second edition from 1913-1923. Congrats on the ponies and look forward to a range report and pics.

Reactions: Curt360

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember the day that it dawned on me that ALL my guns were someday going to belong to someone else. A moment of epiphany.

Once I got comfortable with that and accepted my own mortality, I felt better about things and decided that it was more important to enjoy the journey of life, good things along with the bad.

Having dealt with the "Big C" twice in my life, my world view has shrunk considerably to the people, places and things around me. I no longer take them for granted.

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
Guns are meant to be shot. A little prompt maintenance keeps wear at bay with mine.

Reactions: jeepnut and Curt360

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Congrats on the two finds and on beating the C monster.
I have an OMM from 1956. It has a super slick action and is very accurate. As much of a Smith fan as I am, it would be a tough choice if I had to pick between it and my model 14 if I was in such bad shape that one had to let one go. FWIW, good decision on shooting the gun.

i

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your gun and mine are from the same era. How do you find the DA pull?

I'm spoiled rotten by the DA pull on my S&W's (after market hammer and rebound springs), especially on my Pro Shop series 686-6.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Double action is Very smooth, without any noticeable amount of the stacking common to Colts. SA is 3.5# and DA is just over 8. Mine does have a wide trigger shoe which changes things some. I don't know if it has ever been worked on by a gunsmith. My Wheeler trigger pull gauge only goes to 8# and my 14-3 is slightly over that and only starts to move at just past that weight. I do have a slicked up 27-2 and 625-2 that will match the COM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've gotten into the habit of shooting all my revolvers in DA mode. Because they all have after market spring kits, it's no trick at all.

Once a month I shoot one of 4" my M66s or 2-1/2" M19s at our weekly IPSC practices. Keeps my hand in and I enjoy outshooting the newby 9mm "pray & spray" crowd who mostly shoot CZ Shadow 1s or Shadow 2s. The rules require them to start DA on the first shot and it's usually a throw away unless they have reduced power springs installed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts