Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make holsters for S&W revolvers? Sheese. It seems like since the big semi-auto craze, nobody wants to market good leather for the Smith Wheelies. I am considering going to a 620 for my duty piece, but can't find a good holster to fit one. Any sugestions?

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
El Paso Saddlery makes some of the best leather there is, but it's pricey.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/

Here's one of my favorites.... The "No. 5 Patton".....http://www.epsaddlery.com/pc-97-14-5-pa ... lster.aspx ..... reminds me alot of the "Jordan" or "River" Holster so common 30 years ago...

Also, unless you buy "off the rack" you better put your order in while you're young.... they can take a while.... but then again, if you're considering a "Revolver for Duty" chances are you ain't young....

;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, unless you buy "off the rack" you better put your order in while you're young.... they can take a while.... but then again, if you're considering a "Revolver for Duty" chances are you ain't young....

Don't I know it! I have seen a few summers come and go. I'm no kid that's for sure. I am currently packing a G17 in a Safariland holster. I do like the Glock for duty use. I compete some. Mainly combat drills. I guess I just like those S&W triggers. A half a dozen or so .357 rounds in hand feels good too. The odds of a PA Constable getting into a high cap shootout are pretty slim. Oh, I have done the 40S&W and 45 ACP thing too. I've tried XD,Glock,and Beretta. Heck,my 3" 29 would do just fine, but even at 3" it is a handfull. I don't want folks to think I have Dirty Harry syndrome,lol. Thanks for the link, I appreciate it. Nice looking holsters for sure.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Ah yes, tools of the trade for a law enforcement officer. Cuffs for the unlawful, a slapjack for the unwilling and a 38 for the unwise. Someone devised what they musta thought was the perfect police holser for the 38.
The holster is a Jay-Pee Spring Lock Safety Holster. A swivel holster, kinda handy if you wanted to sit down in a patrol car, and it carried 30 extra rounds. The perfect revolver holster ? Unfortunatly as outdated as the slapjack.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Here is picture of the spring lock inside the holster. The officer had to push the metal tab to draw. An early attempt at gun retention.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Actually the spring retention design illustrated is the Audley System and was in use by them before WW2. I have a small collection of a dozen or so Audley's for various guns, ranging from a 7 1/2" Colt's New Service to a .32 Colt's Pocket Model.

I think that Jay Pee pirated the idea once the Audley patent expired.

Today no one in their right mind would design a holster, nor promote it's use that REQUIRED the operator to insert his finger into the trigger guard to initiate the draw.

My how things have changed....

Drew

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Drew, you are a wealth of information, I appreciate the history on the spring lock. You might remember the clamshell spring holster, I believe it was used by LAPD, another finger inside the trigger guard. I had one, then one day pressed the button and nothing happened; broken spring - possibly happened to few others too.

The Jay Pee was the first holster I had seen with the spring lock devise, I believe it is a mid to late 1950's holster. It was supposedly issued to the New York State Police when they went from the New Service revolvers to the Colt Official Police with six inch barrels.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Triplelock said:
Drew, you are a wealth of information....
Well..... I hope I didn't come across like a know-it-all jackass.... nobody likes a-holes like that.....

Yeah, I had a Davis inspired LASD / LAPD Clamshell once. Was cut for a 6" K-38 and had a swivel. I hated the reverse cant and the goofy release.... I got rid of it in the mid-70's.

I think you're right about the JayPee Spring Clip being used by one of New York's police agencies... but I was thinking it was NYC Metropolitan Police. I can't seem to remember.

I believe that Audley was originally in Folsom, NY and then moved to NYC. Later Audley's are marked New York. JayPee is (was) in Yonkers I think. The later JayPee Springclip holsters I have are for 4" M&P's and 4" Colt Police Positive. Both were authorized guns for NYPD in the late 50's, early 60's when I think these holsters were used.

One last bit on the Springclip holster.... not to be outdone, Bucheimer also made a Springclip holster. The one I have is for a heavy frame 4" revolver, has a swivel and .38 card and is marked "186-45".

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Drew, you came across as someone who knows what he is talking about and the appreciation for your input was sincere. I bought two of these at a gunshow, the dealer had a wooden barrel full of them and was selling them for one dollar each. He claimed to have gotten them from the NY State Police. My interest was mainly the unusual ammo loops for 30 rounds, as a discussion piece.

I knew the NY Troopers, from their inception to the mid 50's carried the Colt New Service revolvers in 45 Colt caliber. Then because the New Service production was cancelled sometime around world war ll, the agency started issuing the Colt Official Police in 38 special with a six inch barrel in the 50's; later they went to a 4 inch barrel. The pictured holster has O.P. stamped on the back, I figured my 6 inch K-frame would fit and it does. . .Anyway, how wrong could I go at the asking price; wish I had bought the whole barrel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
For uniform duty, try Tex Shoemaker (San Dimos? CA) and Hume. I know some other custom shops still make these, but my links are on another computer.

If you're interested in a very good price, email me and I can look for my blk basketweave 4" L frame Bianchi Hurricane (good condition) and a Safariland 070 (very good condition) both for my old duty 4" 686.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
NYC Police used a Jay pee in fixed and swivel for the 38. The safety was a piece of leather sewn into the holster. The side of the leather contacted the cylinder. To "unlock" it, you put your thumb between the cylinder and leather. One thing you would do if someone was trying to take your gun was put your hand at the bottom of the holster and pull it up towards your waist.This prevented the gun from being removed from the holster. We had trouble with Black Panthers taking cops guns and killing them. Pictured below is an NYPD swivel holster, I had one with exposed rounds.
View attachment 2234

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If you are still looking for a holster for a 4 inch 38, this palce will probably have them. NYPD transitioned to 9mm's in the early 90's (I did in 95) but there are still cops with the 4 inch 38, so they probably still sell them.

Network Solutions E-Commerce Web Site - Store Offline

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here's a company in NC that does holsters. They don't show many holsters for revolvers in their catalog but look in their "Will Fit" section and you will find a chart on S&W revolvers and their products. Never had one of their revolver holsters but do have a couple for autos and they are comfortable.

HTH
Gould & Goodrich | Welcome

·
Registered
1 Posts
OldGrizz, carelesslove, here. If you are truly interested in good (+) leather, I have an almost new (but 30+ years old) duty rig that you may find interesting. It consists of the original Jordan River holster for 4" K-Frame S&W, a 36" River Belt and a dump pouch - in deep chocolate color. It is in very good condition. I can take & eMail pictures, if the combination is interesting to you, but don't know how to post them.

Thanks, carelesslove

·
Registered
212 Posts
OldGrizz, carelesslove, here. If you are truly interested in good (+) leather, I have an almost new (but 30+ years old) duty rig that you may find interesting. It consists of the original Jordan River holster for 4" K-Frame S&W, a 36" River Belt and a dump pouch - in deep chocolate color. It is in very good condition. I can take & eMail pictures, if the combination is interesting to you, but don't know how to post them.

Thanks, carelesslove
If oldgrizz is not interested, could you email me the pics?

Sent from my EVO 3 D using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts