Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried my darned to install a Hogue rubber grip on a friend's Shield 9 2.0. That is just way too aggressive for her. I can't imagine carrying it inside the waistband.

Heated the rubber in a pan of water on the stove. Lubed it with Windex, used a table knife. The knife slit it and and it just got worse. I was going to just try a bicycle inner tube cut to length. She bought the Hogue. It is ruined.

Where to now is the question. Pebble grain tape? Open to suggestions.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried hot water and Windex the first time and the Hogue Handall beavertail grip still woudn't go on. Then I boiled the thing for about 5 minutes -- that loosened it up enough to get it on -- still a wrassle and tight fit, though.

·
Registered
26,098 Posts
Did you ry a light coating of liquid dish soap on the inside?
Did you try turning it inside out and "rolling it on" from the bottom up?

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lightly sand the grip with fine sandpaper to knock off the sharp points.
Not my gun. I don't have time for that. We watched Mr.Hogue on Youtube. She returned it to Amazon. I sent her a link to some Talon grip tape.

Yes, we did boil it in water. No dish soap.

Didn't know about reversing the roll on the grip.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not my gun. I don't have time for that. We watched Mr.Hogue on Youtube. She returned it to Amazon. I sent her a link to some Talon grip tape.

Yes, we did boil it in water. No dish soap.

Didn't know about reversing the roll on the grip.
Well your original post did say you were open to suggestions.

Also I'm sure it would take less time than what you spent trying to get the rubber grip cover on.

Someday I'll learn to quit trying to help people on the internet even when they ask for it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well your original post did say you were open to suggestions.

Also I'm sure it would take less time than what you spent trying to get the rubber grip cover on.

Someday I'll learn to quit trying to help people on the internet even when they ask for it.
I heard you and appreciate your input. Not my gun. And I was 45mi from home in a high rise condo without tools and resources. No real "work area." Sorry you got butt hurt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
26,098 Posts
So did you try using some dish soap? I suspect the condo might have had some by the sink..............

Reactions: TN622

·
Registered
231 Posts
I heard you and appreciate your input. Not my gun. And I was 45mi from home in a high rise condo without tools and resources. No real "work area." Sorry you got butt hurt. :rolleyes:
An answer like this just proves that I have not been harsh on my assessment of millenial kind lately which is ...

" The older I get, the more I love animals and the less I like people "

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So did you try using some dish soap? I suspect the condo might have had some by the sink..............
Nope., didn't try soap. Probably should have watched more videos. I was dealing with a very opinionated woman. Hard to deal with. Not my romantic buddy. Just a friend. She gets rather intense. Trying soap after the partial slice probably would have ended with the same result. A ruined grip.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
An answer like this just proves that I have not been harsh on my assessment of millenial kind lately which is ...

" The older I get, the more I love animals and the less I like people "
When someone gets snarky with me, doesn't know me yet pisses and moans about trying to help people? Take your ball and go home. I have been here a while. I wouldn't post what he did to a total stranger.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I tried my darned to install a Hogue rubber grip on a friend's Shield 9 2.0. That is just way too aggressive for her. I can't imagine carrying it inside the waistband.

Heated the rubber in a pan of water on the stove. Lubed it with Windex, used a table knife. The knife slit it and and it just got worse. I was going to just try a bicycle inner tube cut to length. She bought the Hogue. It is ruined.

Well, first, YOU buy her a new grip. Then use the warm water, even the Windex, but skip the knife (of ANY kind). The grip feels quite good once it's installed, and frankly, I found it to be an easy installation, even with my moderate hand strength. Maybe have a friend with better hand strength help out, and really warm that new grip up, the heat helps make it pliable.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Mine went on with quite a struggle, but no tools were needed. But then, it was a 1.0 with less aggressive texturing.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I had an issue installing one on my.45 shield. I used a small amount of liquid dish soap.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts