Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with HI SKOR 800-X? From what I'm finding out is that it has been discontinued and seems popular with shotgun loads and a few select handgun loads. I only reload about 6 or 7 handgun calibers ranging from .32-.45, and I'm down to my last pound or so of Titegroup and I can't find anymore anywhere. My LGS has a bottle of the 800, but he doesn't know anything about it aside from the price. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
No experience with that powder but just about everyone on various forums says it meters terribly. Hodgdons website has data for it in 9mm, .40, 45acp & 44 magnum

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No experience with that powder but just about everyone on various forums says it meters terribly. Hodgdons website has data for it in 9mm, .40, 45acp & 44 magnum
Of those you mentioned, I reload for those except the .40. What concerns me is the metering issue. Thanx for your input.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The more I read up on 800-X, the more I understand why my LGS guy has had it on the shelf for quite a while. Most people speak to the metering issue and what a pain in the a$$ it is to get consistent charges. I'll just keep looking for my Titegroup, thanx.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
I like Titegroup and use it for all my 38 special loads. Hard to beat a couple thousand rounds from 1 pound. I just opened a pound of it the other day. I had it marked as a January of 2018 purchase. Have one more marked December 2019 on the Shelf. I have used it in 9mm and 45, but prefer Clays or Unique in 45 and I usually load 9mm with power pistol or BE-86. Good luck on finding some Titegroup. I know I would grab another if I could find any.

·
Registered
13,425 Posts
I like Titegroup and use it for all my 38 special loads. Hard to beat a couple thousand rounds from 1 pound. I just opened a pound of it the other day. I had it marked as a January of 2018 purchase. Have one more marked December 2019 on the Shelf. I have used it in 9mm and 45, but prefer Clays or Unique in 45 and I usually load 9mm with power pistol or BE-86. Good luck on finding some Titegroup. I know I would grab another if I could find any.
I have 25 pounds of Unique in the powder room... Good grief.

My suggestion for the guy with metering issues is get a Harrell Culver measure. No metering issues at all with a Harrell.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
800X is like stuffing bottle caps into a toothpaste tube. AA#5 is a good general purpose powder for everything from .38 Spl. to .45 ACP.

·
Registered
12,467 Posts
1# bottles? People still buy those for handgun? The last time I bought powder in 1# bottles was for a few rifles I barely shoot, and that was back in the early 90s - still have some. Shotgun and handgun powders get bought in 4# minimum with 8# being better.

Reactions: gary357magnum

·
Registered
12,655 Posts
1# bottles? People still buy those for handgun? The last time I bought powder in 1# bottles was for a few rifles I barely shoot, and that was back in the early 90s - still have some. Shotgun and handgun powders get bought in 4# minimum with 8# being better.
An area Walmart used to carry it sometimes in the 1# jugs for $17.98, so when I saw it while looking at 22 ammo i bought it. With 2100 or so 38 special loads per pound, I only use a pound or so a year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have used IMR 800X in ALL handgun hunting loads for years, except my 500. I swear by it for hunting. 41,mag,44mag, 10MM ,357 etc. :) Glad I have enough--

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also like Titegroup. I only load several handgun calibers ranging from .32 up to .45. I don't hunt or shoot competition, it's just casual plinking and paper targets. For me, Titegroup meters well and a little goes a long way. Depending on caliber, I can load up a anywhere from 700-3,000 rounds for a measly $22.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts