Smith And Wesson Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I think the government is secretly buying up all the ammo to keep it out of our hands.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Military branches and LEAs buy massive amounts of ammo. Are they hoarders?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The unprepared have the weirdest answers...............Wonder if they do the same with food? If there's none in the store on Friday will they panic and starve?

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,618 Posts
My range has plenty of ammo and will sell it without a customer renting a lane. The prices are high, but they are always generally high at a range (bring your own).

They tell me that the problem is that manufacturers are having a problem getting primer's (the brass and powder are available). They said they bought 450,000 primer's several months ago.

I am good on my current supply, but I am not shooting my supply and buying at the current high prices for a range day. I feel like it's good to be careful.

Ammo picture:

I also have some 30/30 in the same FTX cartridges.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Went into Gallenson's in SLC Wednesday - pallets of Winchester etc. ammo all over the floor in one part of the store (they have had such there throughout the panic, with varying contents).

They had several varieties of 9mm & .40 S&W ammo (I didn't check for .38/.357) - as well as multiple types of powder and primers (a mix of CCI small pistol, Remington of several sizes, Winchester, etc. The only sizes they didn't have were small rifle and small pistol magnum. All is basically pre-Covid pricing (except their CCI 500 small pistol, which is at $50 per box, but they just got that in, so they probably had to pay high for it), and they have at least a little of most pistol calibers.

I bought 2 lb of Universal, 2 boxes of primers, and 2 x 50rnd boxes of .40 S&W 180gr HP (Federal Premium LE tactical bonded) - the latter for $30 each (they had cases of that also). Of course, Gallenson's has long been a purchasing point for local city/county LEOs.

Gunnie's down in Orem has several brands of most primers - although they have run out of small rifle (but they do have Remington BR small rifle - 7 1/2, which is basically a "magnum" primer). They are down a bit on powder, and lack any 9mm/.38-.357/.40 S&W, but have a little in most other pistol calibers - again, all at pre-Covid prices.
{edit: When I was in Gunnie's 2 weeks ago I had a nice visit with 2 LEOs who were in purchasing supplies - I think that these two stores not only stockpiled ahead of time themselves (both have always had large back rooms of ammo etc), but also did a little "influence-trading" to have supplies no one else in the state has.}

Both stores have at least some of most rifle calibers... including 7x39mm & .223/5.56mm.

Almost no one else around has any powder/primers, nor any even slightly common pistol ammo - and most are very low on rifle as well.

I can still get most of my various .32 pistol ammos easily, though.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts