Smith And Wesson Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
got an email notification from a store with flocchi 9mm 115 grain FMJ back in stock with no purchase limit....only $35.95 a box......again not sure the manufacturers have increased their wholesale prices at the rate retail pricing has gone up in the last few months.....I can still find federal 115 and 124 grain 9mm at $15 a box unlimited order but have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery.......
My shop (when we have it) is currently pricing the Fiocchi 9mm 15 Gr. ammo at $13.95 a box. The owner refuses to gouge his customers, simply because he could. Last Friday, we had 100 boxes of it. We put a 2 box limit per customer, and managed to have it on the shelves until 1.5 hours after the store opened. It's better than nothing.
I had one customer flat out ask me this last Friday morning.."If I buy these two boxes, go out and put them in my car, can I come right back in and buy two more?" With the owner standing right beside me I told him this. "If you try that, you'll have a lot of customers pissed off at you. You'll be told to leave, without the extra ammo, and you won't ever be allowed back into the store."

·
Registered
1,621 Posts

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Wholesale prices have gone up; Academy raised its price on Win 45ACP from 38.99/100 to 44.99/100 yesterday citing increases.

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
Wholesale prices for ammo have not gone up. I see the costs of what we buy every week when the invoices come in, and there has been no change to the cost for ammo in our shop. A company as big as Academy or Dunham's has enough buying power to buy well below what my little mom & pop gun shop can buy ammo for. It's all BS coming from the big box stores.
They're telling everybody that, just so they can raise the prices and not make the customers feel as if they're being ripped off, which they are.

Reactions: Thewelshm

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Maybe Academy's prices simply went up to the same price as your shop's. An increase is an increase. Or they're lying and it's not. It's been known to happen.

But it's not a rip-off. That's when you buy a widget for $50 and find out you could have bought it for $20 down the street. Then the first store probably ripped you off. When every store charges more, it's simply called The Market. Suck it up, it's where we are in 2020. Is $1900 gold a ripoff? Or is it just today's spot price, and you can take it or leave it? If you own Ruger stock that's gone up in value, are you hoarding it? Or was it a wise investment.

Construction prices are extremely high right now. Lumber prices have tripled, and every other material has gone up. Is it a rip-off? No.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Exactly, no such thing as gouging; you agree to pay the price or you don't

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
"Hoarding" is almost always used as a pejorative in context of widespread panic buying far exceeding supply. I mean... rarely do I hear anyone complaning about a guy hoarding when ammo is stacked high on pallets with no buyers. So... It's okay when a guy buys 10 cases of 5.56 when others don't feel like buying any, but that same guy is all of a sudden a hoarder if others are in a panic to buy ammo.

The root of the problem is not widespread panic buyers, so-called hoarders or industry manufactures. The culprit is Washington. Most all gun and ammo panics are caused by fear of government infringing upon the 2A. This panic is a bit different because there is fear of violence in the streets and fear of 2A infringement. Let's not blame ourselves for the outside influences that drive a normal reaction of free people buying guns and ammo.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I really dislike ammo hoarders. They make it hard on all of us shooters.
You dislike people with ammo by calling them hoarders. We that like to shoot have learned from the past. We've always had and kept ammo on hand. Again. Because we like to shoot. YOU too should learn from the past.You should take up reloading etc....Buying ammo weekly when it is available etc........REMEMBER......When you point one finger at someone else there are four pointing back at you. I can't be a hoarder.......I haven't bought a box of ammo in the last year. Yet I still shoot when I want to.
Ancient proverb.........Those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
I will stop in at Academy or BASS near where I live - IF they have something I want/like at a price I am willing to pay, I buy it. before this 2020 insanity, I bought frequently from TargetSportsUSA. Got an text the other day they had my preferred 9mm in stock; except the price had gone up from .16/round to over .60......I checked my inventory and decided to pass on buying, leaving it for someone who might not have any. So, to the folks who whine about "gouging", this is exactly how supply/demand pricing is supposed to work.

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
So, to the folks who whine about "gouging", this is exactly how supply/demand pricing is supposed to work.
Right.

Back when there was a rimfire shortage a few years ago... A particularly obnoxious rifle club member thought I would be interested is his bellyaching about Benton Shooters having .22s on the shelves priced at $50/brick. He pointed out that Walmart didn't raise their prices and said that Benton was just trying to gouge people. When I told him that he should buy .22s at Walmart he responded by saying Walmart is always sold out. I then asked him if he would be happier if Benton Shooters was always sold out. He got a puzzled look. That was the end of the conversation.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Right.

Back when there was a rimfire shortage a few years ago... A particularly obnoxious rifle club member thought I would be interested is his bellyaching about Benton Shooters having .22s on the shelves priced at $50/brick. He pointed out that Walmart didn't raise their prices and said that Benton was just trying to gouge people. When I told him that he should buy .22s at Walmart he responded by saying Walmart is always sold out. I then asked the guy if he would be happier if Benton Shooters was always sold out. He got a puzzled look. That was the end of the conversation.
THIS!!!!!!!

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
And it was because of Walmart NOT raising their prices that the .22 shortage lasted as long as it did. Every town had those one or two guys who would swoop in at 4Am when they were stocking the shelves, buy it all up and then try to resell it on Armslist or at flea markets.

Reactions: ChattanoogaPhil

·
Super Moderator
32,701 Posts
I normally just blow off the term hoarder. I can understand the frustration that many feel when they are looking to buy ammo of whatever caliber(s) and none to be found because of panic buyers who might shoot 500 rounds of .38 Special a year or 500 of 5.56 a year and now may be panic buying 2,000 or more anytime they find stocks, far in excess of anything they would normally shoot off. That is far different from the person who shoots 500 a year but decides that beyond that they will pick up another 100 or 200 rounds to squirrel away and stockpile for the future and does it for 10 years, in 10 years they now have 1,000 - 2,000 of whatever caliber. How can that be hoarding when most times over the ten years ammunition was plentiful, they were preparing, not hoarding and never hindering anybody else from buying what they wanted to over that same 10 years when ammo could be easily found.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
During Trump’s appearance on Rush’s show today, he said the following
When I took over we had no ammunition. We had a case where a general, a certain general, highly overrated general told me, “We have no ammunition.” And I said, “What are you talking about?” I said, “No president should ever be told that again.” Now we have so much ammunition —

RUSH: I heard you say that. I was, frankly, surprised that we were low on ammo? I don’t think I’ve ever heard that before.

THE PRESIDENT: He said, “Sir, we have no ammunition.” Okay? And I said, “Keep that very quiet.” And then we started building up and now we have new rockets, new missiles.

·
Registered
12,883 Posts
I really dislike ammo hoarders. They make it hard on all of us shooters.
If a person has hoarded their ammo over the past 10 or 20 years it has almost no effect on the current situation. I reload but keep at least 500 rounds of factory ammo on hand for 5 calibers, but I didnt buy any of it this year. Now I have a couple years worth of components on hand, but if I didnt reload it would be 1000's of rounds of factory ammo.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts