Smith And Wesson Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was in two different gun stores Tuesday and both had ammo in most calibers other than 9mm. I am in north central Florida. I even saw 38 Special that has been out of stock online recently. It looked like the prices have gone up some but not sure as I have not bought any in years as i reload for what I need and have a good stock pf components and 22 ammo. I didnt see any primers but don't need any as I keep a good stock for times like this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now the hoarding is affecting the oddities. Just checked Ammoseek for 38 S&W (NOT Specials) and there are no listings.
My question is, what to these buyers thing they're going to shoot it out of? I don't think there's that many Terriers and BSR's floating around.
Did you check with midwayusa.com?

·
Registered
12 Posts
How many of these 'high-demand' cycles are we going to have to live through before ammo companies come to the realization that their ability to supply ammo is inadequate?
Perhaps until they realize how much potential profit they are missing out on...? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
and just when you thought it could get worse now the big box stores have joined in the price wars!

just got this notification from sportsman guide who used to be reasonably priced.....guaranteed delivery of 9mm 124 grain FMJ for Feb 2021. An overseas manufacturer with pricing at $37 a box/50 or $600 plus for 1K.....but hey you get free shipping! Scorpio STV technology......

·
Super Moderator
19,408 Posts
The biggest problem in the supply chain is that many of these companies got shutdown because of the "Covid Epidemic" They were running on minimal staffing and then the gun rush hit. None of them were prepared for the buying onslaught that has been runnign for nearly 7 months. I looked up the background check numbers from last week here in Tennessee. The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has run more than 13,000 background check in just the last 7 days.
This year my store should nearly triple their annual sales compared to last year.
There are tens of millions of boxes of ammo sold over what last year did. Nobody predicted this, and absolutely nobody, including nearly all of us in this forum were prepared to see the ammo shortage this time.
Citizens are in fear of their lives, both conservative and liberals alike. And honestly, I don't care what their political leanings are, because they're keeping me happily employed, adn doing what I love the most....selling products I care about.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Federal’s website said they did.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
688FA096-D4CD-4819-98A9-F8819DF6CE0E.png

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
A3047554-0FE0-465D-ACFC-36BBC0533A27.png

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
624C01E7-71F5-49A9-A433-7AB5E42E175E.png

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
Every person that walks out of a store empty handed is a lost sale. There is something wrong with the business model when shelves are empty after a few days of 'panic' buying, there should be more than that in the pipeline for the express purpose of preventing these 'shortages.' How many times have we seen this?

I guess I'm old OLD school but I can remember a time when there were more shooters than today and you could always get ammo. Something changed and I suspect it has to do with 'just in time' malarky that is taught in business school.
All my ammo purchases are online in bulk quantities. That's a huge difference between 'old school' and today's environment. Consumers can purchase large quantities of ammo with a mere click of a button which allows a panic to deplete supply very quickly. It's not that the pipeline is significantly different but rather the purchasing ability of the consumer is greatly expanded, and in a panic environment greatly accelerated. This isn't limited to ammo. Some sellers have even banned online purchasing of some items during the COVID panic. For example, go to Walmart.com and search for disinfecting wipes. 99% of what they have listed shows sold out, but what they do have is for 'in store purchase only'.

Manufactures, whether they produce disinfecting wipes or ammo, aren't going to invest in manufacturing capacity to meet panic demand levels. They will adjust as best they can to produce as much product as possible during a panic, but they are not going invest to build an operation that's 300% capacity of normal demand just for it to sit idle for years waiting on a burst of panic demand, or pay for massive warehouses to let inventory sit indefinitely. They could not compete with others operating efficiently to meet normal demand.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you, but I would suggest that relocations are not necessarily expansions of capacity. I would also wonder, if they are indeed expansions of capacity, why are they not following the economic logic described in the final paragraph?

·
Registered
8 Posts
While I agree manufacturers arent ramping up for panic buying, supply and demand dictates pricing and some are taking advantage of it all. Go on gunbroker and look at the insane prices folks are paying for ammo from various sources, look at the amount of ammo those sources are selling on gunbroker and then do a internet search for the seller. Its usually a local shop somewhere who has a website and when you scroll into their website they show no ammo in stock, yet they are selling it all on gunbroker for an extreme profit IMHO.....good on them...but not a honest business practice for the local guy that goes into the shop and wants to buy a box or two...

got an email notification from a store with flocchi 9mm 115 grain FMJ back in stock with no purchase limit....only $35.95 a box......again not sure the manufacturers have increased their wholesale prices at the rate retail pricing has gone up in the last few months.....I can still find federal 115 and 124 grain 9mm at $15 a box unlimited order but have to wait 6-8 weeks for delivery.......

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Arizona Ammunition Maker Facing $80-Million In Back Orders

“We’re working right now seven days a week, 24 hours a day in all the manufacturing plants,” said CEO Fred Wagenhals.
Ouch. The good news, if there is any to be found here, is that ammunition companies like Ammo Incorporated are now investing millions of dollars in infrastructure upgrades to increase their output. If manufacturers felt like this was only a short-term run on ammunition, they might keep their cash in reserve rather than spending it on new equipment, but at least for Ammo Inc, that’s not the case.

“We just bought 2.8 million dollars worth of machinery and equipment last week to increase our production and increase our volume,” Wagenhals said.
According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the year has already seen a boom in gun purchases, up 95% in the first half of 2020 compared to the same time period of 2019.
But ammo sales skyrocketed even higher, up 139% compared to 2019 during that same time period.

... unfortunately no matter who wins in November I think there’s a growing expectation among many Americans that the unrest, looting, and burning will continue. That will likely keep sales strong well into 2021

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Premium Member
6,933 Posts
I haven't purchased any ammo since before the panic began. As far as I'm concerned folks are free to buy all the ammo they want at inflated prices. After the panic there will be a glut of ammo followed by reduced prices and manufacture rebates to incentivize buyers. Then I'll start buying again. Cycle has repeated several times over the years.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts