Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,543 Posts
We had a customer walk up to the counter with 3 boxes of 300 Win mag ammo. He asked me if he could shoot it out of his 300 Blackout AR-15.
Sadly I had to tell him NO. He then asked why they made "different 300" ammo that wouldn't fit in every gun. He said it just confused him more.

Oh my, and he really does own a gun! This is the kind of guy that scares me. I can just see him putting some 300 Blackout cartridges into a 5.56 or .223 rifle "Because it fits in the mag", and blowing his gun to pieces.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Even those of us with a good supply of components are seeing holes in their strategy. For example, I thought I had plenty of H335 and BLC-2 for loading 223, but turns out I'm going through about 2 pounds of powder for 500 rounds. That will get me to roughly 1200 rounds before I have to start finding more powder. I can use other powders that I have, but I'd sure like to save them for 30-30 and 30.06. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We had a customer walk up to the counter with 3 boxes of 300 Win mag ammo. He asked me if he could shoot it out of his 300 Blackout AR-15.
Sadly I had to tell him NO. He then asked why they made "different 300" ammo that wouldn't fit in every gun. He said it just confused him more.

Oh my, and he really does own a gun! This is the kind of guy that scares me. I can just see him putting some 300 Blackout cartridges into a 5.56 or .223 rifle "Because it fits in the mag", and blowing his gun to pieces.
No problem. It's not going to chamber.

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
I have been trying to maintain 2 years worth of components. I don't think I will have enough bullets, but I know I have at least a years worth and of powder, primers & bullets. The bullets are the easiest to find of the 3. I load 38/357, 9mm, 380, 45 and 40, so finding bullets in any of those will keep me shooting longer

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
No problem. It's not going to chamber.
But could the bolt slamming forward against the cartridge to try to chamber it cause it to explode?

That's my question. Any time you have someone using the wrong ammo there is potential for tragedy.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
How many of these 'high-demand' cycles are we going to have to live through before ammo companies come to the realization that their ability to supply ammo is inadequate?
No company is going to invest in the capacity required to meet peak periods of panic demand. Not that long ago ammo was stacked high on pallets on retailer floors... no buyers. The time to buy is when supply is greater than demand which is a great deal of the time. I stocked up on several cases of 5.56 when Federal was offering 5 cents per round rebate to incentivize customers to buy. Combined with Palmetto's free shipping M193 was $249/1k delivered.

This panic is different, but most gun & ammo panics are driven by fear of government meddling where they have no business meddling. That's the issue needs addressing, not production capacity of ammo manufactures.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
1,742 Posts
Bought some .454 Casull and some .338 WinMag last week at normal prices.

·
Registered
519 Posts
No company is going to invest in the capacity required to meet peak periods of panic demand. Not that long ago ammo was stacked high on pallets on retailer floors... no buyers. The time to buy is when supply is greater than demand which is a great deal of the time. I stocked up on several cases of 5.56 when Federal was offering 5 cents per round rebate to incentivize customers to buy. Combined with Palmetto's free shipping M193 was $249/1k delivered.

This panic is different, but most gun & ammo panics are driven by fear of government meddling where they have no business meddling. That's the issue needs addressing, not production capacity of ammo manufactures.
Every person that walks out of a store empty handed is a lost sale. There is something wrong with the business model when shelves are empty after a few days of 'panic' buying, there should be more than that in the pipeline for the express purpose of preventing these 'shortages.' How many times have we seen this?

I guess I'm old OLD school but I can remember a time when there were more shooters than today and you could always get ammo. Something changed and I suspect it has to do with 'just in time' malarky that is taught in business school.

I'm not complaining for myself--I've got enough ammo to last the rest of my life and then some because once these shortages happen, I stop shooting. I only shoot what I can replace. Neither case--me, having ammo but won't shoot it or someone else who would shoot it but can't buy any--is good for the shooting industry.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
If you have about $65m you can buy Remington's ammo unit and run it the way you see fit. The parent company of Palmetto State Armory is bidding.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The odd ball calibers are available for a short period of time. Already made and not popular. With the current situation, the priority will be popular calibers. So get 32 ACP or 22 Hornet while you can. And most primers are going to production, so reloading is squeezed too.

As bad as it is... will be far worse come November if the Left wins.

·
Registered
362 Posts

I think this time is different. If the Democrats win the election all bets are off and ammo will be like gold coins. If Trump wins there will be continued unrest that keeps people buying ammo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
People are paying what the market demands....the ammo auctions on gunbroker are insane....upwards of $800-1000 for 1K of 9mm......average per box cost Im seeing is $50 per right now...and folks are actually paying it! I thought $350 for a 1K of federal 9mm was high...waiting on UPS to deliver it now......abeit its been on order for a month now.....

·
Registered
13,514 Posts
I remember reading that a few ammo makers did expand back during the 2012-13 shortages, so they arent likely to do it again

·
Super Moderator
19,543 Posts
Obviously the 300 WIN mag won't fit, but a 300 blackout can.

A 300 blackout cartridge will load in a 5.56 or .223 chamber without any problem. The bullet will sit at the very beginning of the set point in the chamber. I've seen way too many videos of guys blowing up their .5.56/.223 guns because they put 300 BLK in their mags.

·
Registered
15,413 Posts
Obviously the 300 WIN mag won't fit, but a 300 blackout can.

A 300 blackout cartridge will load in a 5.56 or .223 chamber without any problem. The bullet will sit at the very beginning of the set point in the chamber. I've seen way too many videos of guys blowing up their .5.56/.223 guns because they put 300 BLK in their mags.
Well, you and I both know who has around 10,000 223 rounds and a couple thousand 45 acp's don't we? I don't even count the 22's. Inconsequential.

I didn't know a 300 Blackout would fit a 223. I need to try that sometime in as much as I have both.

A good 223 action should be cross drilled to 'let the fire out' anyway.

Reactions: gearchecker
21 - 40 of 88 Posts