Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a victory model revolver and I would like to try and confirm all the markings are legit and possibly find out the history on this specific revolver.

It has a blues finish with checkered walnut grips. I can’t find any military acceptance marks but I believe the early variants did not come with any. Considering the S/N I think it’s manufactured in early 1942.

The ”V”on the butt of the frame for the S/N is faint, would that be something that would be forged later on the gain value in the revolver? the V does show up in all other S/N locations except the rear of the crane that’s hidden by the cylinder

The threads for the lanyard loop have been plugged, is this something that was done post war?

Would love to hear any input on this revolver and it’s marking, and possibly find out where it may have been.

Thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Below is link to a site with interesting information. From that site "Victory models have also been produced with out property marks, these revolvers were probably delivered by the U.S. Defense Supply Corporation (DSC) to defense contractors and public agencies that required them for guarding war sensitive materials." Unless I am missing the US property marks and inspector initials yours would fall into this category. I too have one that does not have the property marks.

The Victory model Smith and Wesson

A previous owner replaced the grips and at the same time probably removed the lanyard ring. Not too uncommon. On mine a previous owner converted it from .38 S&W to .38 splc by replacing the barrel and cylinder with post-war components. Mine sports the same grips that you have. Probably not much on the higher side for Victory models as collectors view them but they make good shooters.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that’s good to know. Unfortunately mine does not have any US property marks as well.
I’m wondering if it would be possible to remove the plug and get the lanyard swivel installed again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
that’s good to know. Unfortunately mine does not have any US property marks as well.
I’m wondering if it would be possible to remove the plug and get the lanyard swivel installed again.
You should be able to. It is not a threaded hole. Lanyard rings have been available on ebay. I had a pre-victory, British contract model that needed one.

·
Registered
35,120 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice older classic. Looks decent. Congrats on adding that to your stable 👏

Reactions: Psiska
1 - 9 of 9 Posts