Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Im new here, but am looking for some info on a gun I've had for about 20 years now. It's a Nickel 29-2, 6". I have the original blue box, with all papers, including warranty card. serial starts N817. Box says 6", instructions list 6 1/2"? Box says "T" for stocks and trigger,, instructions say for stocks oversize target type checked Goncalo Alves with S&W monograms. The gun is in very good shape, minus the original grips. I would just like a rough idea of year of manufacture, and maybe some help locating correct grips for this gun. I have a set of N frame grips that looked similar to ones I've seen on gunbroker on these guns, but they do not fit. a portion of the backstrap is exposed with them, and one side wont fit on at all. Lastly, is is safe to give it a light hand polishing with Flitz? thanks in advance for any help!

Jack

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Hey Jack!

Great Gun you've got there..... N817,000 would be 1980 or so.... the 6 1/2" barrel length was dropped in favor of the 6" about that same time so your instruction sheet must've been a hold over.... pretty typical of a thrifty Yankee company like S&W.... nothing got thrown out if it could still be used....

With regard to your stocks, I would bet that if the pair you have won't fit, that they are for a K-Frame not an N-Frame. The two stocks are similar in shape but with subtle differences that make them fit-specific. A mint pair shouldn't set you back more than $100.... in fact you may find good to very good checked target stocks for the N-Frame for around $75 if you look around. Why not place a WTB ad in our classifieds? I'm sure you'll fins something.....

With regard to flitz, I've heard good things about it but I've never used it myself.... I've handled guns that were so treated and they came back to near new from a somewhat 'cloudy' state.

Glad you could join us and we look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Drew

·
Registered
296 Posts
Welcome G626!

Here's the target stocks you asked about on a Mod 29-2.

And S-Son is correct on both counts. The grips your trying may be for a K frame revolver and the classifieds are prime hunting ground to find a set of targets for your fine revolver.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. I will definitely be hunting on here for those grips. Cant wait to get her back to factory specs. Thanks again for all the help!

Jack

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Jack
I Bought the Model 29-2 shown and it came with the Smooth Book grain Matched Traget grips on it. Most cased guns I have seen in the Past do have this style grip on them. Just my Nickels worth on this... Hammerdown

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Checkered Targets are the most commonly encountered stocks on these guns from this period.

In fact, this production date is about the time you will see the appearance of a much deeper "Speed Loader" relief or "Scallop" cut out that is deep enough to expose frame metal at the bottom of the relief.

Those as illustrated above are from an earlier period and would pre-date your gun.

Generally, wood stocks were discontinued by around 1989.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi
According to my Factory letter, My 29-2 shipped in April 1979 which Three full years after the Introduction of the speed loader cut out Grips that Roy Jinks designed for law Enforcement in 1976. S&W is well Known to Use up all existing supplies of parts if they are not safety related before placing the new designed parts on Revolvers being shipped as they evidently did with your Owners Manuel. I have Learned in the past Nothing is ever cut and dried with S&W. We can speculate all we want about this, But I Guess a factory letter may be the Only way to tell what your revolver left the factory with for Certain... :mrgreen: Hammerdown

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Hi: Also new to the forum, but of an age to know why we carried nickel plated revolvers in a salt air environment back in the "70's". The nickel finish was felt to stand up better to the salt air environment than blued revolvers; this was a time before stainless steel. - Law enforcement officers carried nickel plated revolvers in my part of Florida. The nickel plated Model 19 was a favorite with deputies. Florida Highway Patrol carried nickel plated Colt Troopers with special issue 5 inch barrels. I had a 5 inch nickel plated Model 27 and when it got cloudy I foolishly sold it. I bought another, a 27-2, that is when I found Flitz when it started to get cloudy, Flitz restored the finish without any problems; still have it and looks new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts