Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's fair to say that I've been in the buying/selling game since I was a young lad. Started with bicycles and slot cars then into horses, tack, buggies, and wagons. After I turned 16 cars and motorcycles became my focus. That said I'll mention a few things that I see often on both forums and at gun shows and even some gun shops. First thing CLEAN your gun. I can't believe how many guns or photos of guns I see that are just plain dirty. If you are planning on photographing your gun clean it with alcohol and wax it. Nothing looks worse in photos than swirls, smears, and fingerprints in an oily finish. Wax solves that issue. Next is what I call "the illusion of virginity". No matter what you are selling the buyer wants to think he is buying something well cared for and barely used. To help this situation make your gun as original as possible. Just because you need a dot or scope to shoot well doesn't mean your prospective buyer does. And no matter how well the custom grips look, shine, fit your hand, or impress your buddies stock grips sell better. If the interested party looks at you and figures this old dude probably fired six rounds out of this gun and couldn't handle any more all the better. I'm not the guy that touches up blueing and lies about round count but I also don't want to give anybody a reason to think a gun has been rode hard and put away wet. Nobody wants an ex drag racing car, they want the little old lady's car.

·
Registered
19,890 Posts
Got to really agree on the cleaning aspect. I have bought many guns that I have spent hours cleaning at a much reduced price (glad of) but also many that were neglected and the damage was not repairable. So if you do have a tool such as a gun then should do the maintenance diligently.

·
Registered
14,476 Posts
The one area gun shop that I have bought a few used revolvers from apparently doesn't believe in cleaning them. Have bought a couple that looked like a hundred rounds since last cleaning and couple weren't too bad. I guess they put them out the way they get them. I would have a gun all shined up and clean as a whistle if I were going to sell it, whether that's trading it in at a shop or a face to face sale

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Cleaning! Yep! Not long ago I found a pretty little 4 inch nickel 15-4 at a pawn shop. Filthy but pretty. Grungy action. Price was ... $500!!! Crazy. Took it home for $325 OTD w/ a box of ammo. About an hour of fiddling around cleaning it while I watched Gunsmoke and the pretty in that little 15-4 really showed! Stocks just needed to be wiped down. Beautiful. Doubt it would have lasted very long if it hadn't been so filthy. Glad I found it before someone else saw the potential. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Awesome advice! The whole post was informative but I was struck by this

Next is what I call "the illusion of virginity". No matter what you are selling the buyer wants to think he is buying something well cared for and barely used. To help this situation make your gun as original as possible. Just because you need a dot or scope to shoot well doesn't mean your prospective buyer does.
Just the other day I was cruising Armslist, my gun budget is done for this year but I like to look, and I saw a nice ruger and it had a scope mounted and I swear .. I did think to myself .. " Oh this guy must have used it hunting so it is probably all dinged up from being dragged through the bushes" Dont know why it popped into my head but it did.

Your right .. Maybe he should have shot pix of the Ruger naked and then offered the scope in the description or sold it independently. Perhaps a hunter guy would have thought it was a great package deal but me not being a hunter .. all I thought was that gun has seen some living!

I just would rather not know about her past life and possible indiscretions! :)

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Always install a round counter (like an odometer) cause they always want to ask "how many rounds are through it":D

Heck I don't know, it was only shot by a little old man on one Sunday a Month!;)

·
Registered
17,208 Posts
Sounds good to me. One problem though. I never sell anything I buy. I keep them all. I look at firearms as tools and my toolbox is never quite full.

I don't purchase just any firearm for the sake of having it. I buy guns that I'll use. I think the only exception to that was the Barrett 50 I bought and sold some years back. Fantastic shooter past 1000 yards (with the BORS sighting system) but, way too heavy for my use and just plain cumbersome to deal with plus even the reloads are pricey.

Next to sell on my tentative list would be my Savage 11-111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum. It's cumbersome as well but much lighter than the Barrett. Problem is, barrel length. The 338 needs a long tube to achieve the velocities it's famous for but the barrel presents an issue when carrying it afield so, it may get sold at some point and replaced with a shorter barreled 300 Win Mag.

Besides, the older I get, the less I appreciate magnum loadings.

Handgun wise, nothing gets sold and nothing get's purchased. I have everything I need presently.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Our favorite former LGS (He sold his store out and now just doing favors for people he knows re buying and selling) took quite a few guns in trade and put them for sale in the condition they came in. I was talking to him and his wife one day and told them that the very first time we went into his store he showed me a rather nice revolver. It was not specifically what I was looking for, but I might well have bought it except it was so FILTHY. It was quite a while before we visited his store again. Too bad for both of us, actually, but first impressions count for a lot.
I suggested that he take guns home and clean them before putting them up for sale. His wife said she had been trying to get him to do that "forever."

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Can you imagine what some of the "sellers" underwear looks like?.....:)

thewelshm

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Sounds good to me. One problem though. I never sell anything I buy. I keep them all. I look at firearms as tools and my toolbox is never quite full.

I don't purchase just any firearm for the sake of having it. I buy guns that I'll use. I think the only exception to that was the Barrett 50 I bought and sold some years back. Fantastic shooter past 1000 yards (with the BORS sighting system) but, way too heavy for my use and just plain cumbersome to deal with plus even the reloads are pricey.

Next to sell on my tentative list would be my Savage 11-111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua Magnum. It's cumbersome as well but much lighter than the Barrett. Problem is, barrel length. The 338 needs a long tube to achieve the velocities it's famous for but the barrel presents an issue when carrying it afield so, it may get sold at some point and replaced with a shorter barreled 300 Win Mag.

Besides, the older I get, the less I appreciate magnum loadings.

Handgun wise, nothing gets sold and nothing get's purchased. I have everything I need presently.
Same here. Buy what I want/like at the time and never sell. Thing is a new gun is like a new girl friend. you are infatuated for a year or so then something new takes its place. Then the old piece gets rotated to the back of the pile........Some people's piles are big........I go to the back of the pile and pull something out and am infatuated with it again........And it cost nothing!

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Crazy talk!

Hey Mark,

You are talking "Crazy Talk"! :D

Let them folks keep trying to sell their "dirty" firearms!! :D

That way.... I can afford to purchase more of them!! :cool:

Later, Mark

·
Registered
27,090 Posts
It is surprising that a lot of gun shops do not clean the used guns they acquire. I'm more apt to look at a "cleaned" example vs one that looks trashed. I passed on a 10-5 snubby for $450 last year because the barrel looked rusted/dirty, same where crane attaches to frame but rest of gun wasn't bad. If it was cleaned up I probably would of walked out of there with it.;)

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
It is surprising that a lot of gun shops do not clean the used guns they acquire. I'm more apt to look at a "cleaned" example vs one that looks trashed. I passed on a 10-5 snubby for $450 last year because the barrel looked rusted/dirty, same where crane attaches to frame but rest of gun wasn't bad. If it was cleaned up I probably would of walked out of there with it.;)
I worked in a LGS/Pawn shop for a while. It is not worth cleaning them. To much time and trouble. Why do it. They paid nothing for it and will double their money even if it is dirty>

I myself brought a bore light and cleaning rod for any gun I was interested in. Filed striped semi autos, The didn't like it if I wanted to pull a side plate off!:D

Hey ya buy a car you want to look under the hood. We wen to a Car Max ONCE. every car we looked at was filthy inside and the engines not cleaned yet they want top dollar for them, Some reeked inside!

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
I'm in the process of selling off my center fire rifles, both target and hunting. I sell them on consignment. Also I provide a truthful statement of usage and condition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts