Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Home from the hills...

Got back from the hunt last Friday. Spent the better part of the two week deer season up at my cabin in northern Pa. Started out with ideal hunting weather... 4-6 inches of fresh snow, temps in the mid 20s to low thirties. The stuff that every hunter in Penn's woods dream of. It did warm up the second week and we had a couple days of rain before turning cold and icing things up. But the first week way hunting heaven. Here's a couple pics to cool you southern boys down.
Somewhere in northern Pennsylvania...

photo 2[710].JPG

The roads were a little tricky. Getting to and from my secret spot took some slow crawling in 4WD, but the scenery was pretty.

photo 1[708].JPG

It was a real Winter Wonderland.

photo 3[712].JPG

Perfect for still hunting through the woods. Missed one on the first day and say two other nice buck. Got this fat 8 point late in the afternoon on the next day.

photo 2[696].JPG

Look behind him, next to the base of the tree. You can see a bed. When shot, that buck fell beside another one that jumped up and ran towards me. It stopped and looked back at the first. you can see him in the next picture, just to the left of center, head down looking back to the right. He way laying in the area to the right and back of the two trees on his right. My buck is laying out of sight there, behind the trunk of a hemlock tree.

photo 1[694].JPG

Doesn't look so in the picture but the standing deer is only 40 yards or so from me. Where my buck lays is about 80. The second deer had a very nice rack. Wish I had a better camera. I watched him for a couple minutes before shooing him away.

All told I saw 10 buck this season, all legal. My group put three on the meat pole. My 8 pt, a 9 point and a big 5 pt. I actually saw more buck than doe this year which is unusual. It was a very good season for us.

John

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Congrats on a successful hunt and glad you got out there and enjoyed yourself. Thanks for sharing the pics.:)

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW...! If you had some good camera gear, you could take some photos of wild life and scenery for extra money. Thanks for sharing these with us
Yeah, those were taken with my cell phone, an old i4. Just moved up to a S10 so maybe next years pics will be better... if I see anything!:D

John

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Thanks for sharing. The best kind of winter hunting - a great hunt in the beautiful outdoors resulting in a venison dinner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts