Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out where I got this 4" stainless steel Highway Patrolman barrel, and where did it originate. My SCSW catalog is in a safe downstairs locked in a safe, but I seem to recall there weren't very many nickle HP made, and those were for Florida's State Police. Is that correct?

Were any made in stainless steel? I'm finally getting a 4" barrel swap done on my ND 6" HP. While digging up the blued 4" barrel out of my parts box, I ran across a couple of others. One being a silver re-finish (that favors Robar's NP3), and the other one sure looks stainless to me.

Is my memory failing me (again) or did S&W make any 4" stainless Highway Patrolman?

Attachments

·
Registered
22,136 Posts
Interesting.......

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sure it is too. Why would S&W make a stainless barrel stamped with Highway Patrolman? You reckon there's a frame out there somewhere?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know one of them looks like that, but the other really looks like it's real stainless steel, through & through.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know for certain one of them is coated,.......but I'm just not ready to say the other one is, yet. Anyone know a sure fire test for stainless? It just seems to have the fine directional scratches like stainless does. I just think it is. If there's a way to prove me wrong I'm up to admitting it. I certainly don't know everything, but I've had and have a few stainless steel guns, and I think that's what the one is. :giggle: By Golly. If my gunsmith wasn't so far away, I'd take it to him. He does coatings and is a licensed Firearm manufacturer, and he should be able to tell me.

I'll probably see him next week, and it's going with me when I go.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
What are the odds of it being a stainless steel Model 28? No known history of one ever existing. No one has ever reported seeing or having one. Tons of research and books have been written over the years on special order guns done by S&W and a stainless steel Model 28 has never been mentioned or even rumored.
Think about this. S&W makes a single stainless steel Model 28. 1 guy buys the only one ever made and what's he do? He takes the barrel off the only one ever made. Now just how likely is that?
A good rule of thumb is if you think you have the only one in existence that no one has ever heard of then most likely you don't have the one either.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
"Anyone know a sure fire test for stainless?"

You could see if it reacts to cold blue on the barrel threads. But I think you have your answer in the pic labeled "left side"... I don't think stainless would develop a dark discoloration like that around the pin hole. Could it be that someone removed all of the bluing and then buffed it on a a soft wire wheel?

In fact, that is what S&W did on the Highway Patrolman before bluing to give it what they called a "brushed blue" finish.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll give it a try with the cold blue. It might just be a naked gun! Thanks all.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got a chance to test the cold blue on the barrel. I used a Q tip and it turned the metal dark. So, apparently I have a barrel that has been completely stripped to the bare steel. Cold Blue left a dark spot immediately.

I knew it wasn't nickle finish, but it had brush marks like stainless. Thanks for the idea of the cold blue, I'm sorry I don't recall the member's name.

I'm going to just oil it good and put it in the parts bin.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I finally got a chance to test the cold blue on the barrel. I used a Q tip and it turned the metal dark. So, apparently I have a barrel that has been completely stripped to the bare steel.
Must have been treated with some really effective corrosion inhibitor moments after the stripping was done, because unprotected steel begins to rust so quickly in most atmospheric conditions. The "bare steel" look is often used when a gun is engraved, but then a protective treatmment like French Grey is applied after the engraving is done.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I finally got a chance to test the cold blue on the barrel. I used a Q tip and it turned the metal dark. So, apparently I have a barrel that has been completely stripped to the bare steel. Cold Blue left a dark spot immediately.

I knew it wasn't nickle finish, but it had brush marks like stainless. Thanks for the idea of the cold blue, I'm sorry I don't recall the member's name.

I'm going to just oil it good and put it in the parts bin.
That was me... glad to have been of assistance.

Reactions: kraynky

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know for certain one of them is coated,.......but I'm just not ready to say the other one is, yet. Anyone know a sure fire test for stainless? It just seems to have the fine directional scratches like stainless does. I just think it is. If there's a way to prove me wrong I'm up to admitting it. I certainly don't know everything, but I've had and have a few stainless steel guns, and I think that's what the one is. :giggle: By Golly. If my gunsmith wasn't so far away, I'd take it to him. He does coatings and is a licensed Firearm manufacturer, and he should be able to tell me.

I'll probably see him next week, and it's going with me when I go.
Stainless doesn’t have directional lines are marks unless someone puts them there by sanding or using a scotchbrite pad. That’s where the term brushed stainless finish comes from

1 - 19 of 19 Posts