Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
Is the gun stamped Model 28-2 on the frame when you open the cylinder? Also, are the words Highway Patrolman stenciled on the barrel? According to the S&W Standard Catalog, they didn't make any with barrels shorter than 4", so I'm just trying to affirm that what you have is actually a Model 28.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
It looks like a John Jovino modification. I'll bet the butt is rounded. It is definitely not factory issue.
I was thinking the same thing. The way the ejector shroud is rounded up to meet the barrel looks very much like how Jovino did many N frames that I have seen pictures of. Also rounding the butt and making it fit K frame sized grips is another hallmark of his work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is the gun stamped Model 28-2 on the frame when you open the cylinder? Also, are the words Highway Patrolman stenciled on the barrel? According to the S&W Standard Catalog, they didn't make any with barrels shorter than 4", so I'm just trying to affirm that what you have is actually a Model 28.
Yes it is stamped 28-2 along with a serial number starting with N in side when open. Here’s a look at other side with no grips. My father bought it used so no history. Thanks for the replies. Wood Hardwood Metal Wood stain Tool

I was thinking the same thing. The way the ejector shroud is rounded up to meet the barrel looks very much like how Jovino did many N frames that I have seen pictures of. Also rounding the butt and making it fit K frame sized grips is another hallmark of his work
Must be why the N gripps I bought for it are way to big on bottom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ghostdriver, is the entire serial number still stamped on bottom of butt frame.
Yes it is. I started thinking it was modified by someone when I couldn't find one like it on any S&W sites.It also is missing"Highway Patrol" anywhere as well a 357 Magnum I have to say if the barrel was shortened ( or replaced) it is an amazing job. Pinned and all. I don't believe this gun has been fired from new around mid 80's.
Once again thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Well, before the corona virus, you could have called Jovino and they could probably have confirmed it was one of theirs. Unfortunately, after over 100 years, they went out of business.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
I have never heard of Jovino's modifications having any custom stamps to signify his work or anything but it is certainly his style. There ist an M25 Jovino on Gunbroker right now so I stole the picture to compare. They look the same to me, right down to the grips and blued hammer & trigger. This m25 is also listed with a 2.75" barrel , like the OP's revolver.
Gun Firearm Trigger Ammunition Gun accessory

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have never heard of Jovino's modifications having any custom stamps to signify his work or anything but it is certainly his style. There ist an M25 Jovino on Gunbroker right now so I stole the picture to compare. They look the same to me, right down to the grips and blued hammer & trigger. This m25 is also listed with a 2.75" barrel , like the OP's revolver.
View attachment 490182
Jonesy thats the gun! Looks exact to me (wife thinks I'm nuts because I have the gun under a scope with grips off looking for clue's). I knew it wouldn't take you guys long to figure this thing out. Now that I know I have a modded gun I guess I better mic it up and make sure it's still a 357 Magnum. Thanks.

·
Registered
15,307 Posts
Jonesy thats the gun! Looks exact to me (wife thinks I'm nuts because I have the gun under a scope with grips off looking for clue's). I knew it wouldn't take you guys long to figure this thing out. Now that I know I have a modded gun I guess I better mic it up and make sure it's still a 357 Magnum. Thanks.
I would be surprised if it is not 357. Many revolver customizations cost enough that you would have a hard time getting your money back out of them. People often look at customized, chopped barrel guns as something to beware of or at least be careful of when looking it over. Jovino's modifications are an exception and bring pretty big money due to his reputation for quality work. Pretty darn good chance you gun was done in his shop
His shop was in New York City right by the police headquarters and he was a major supplier of police gear back in the days when the 6 gun ruled the streets

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
IIRC a Jovino was going for ~$2k over on the blue forum. They're quite valuable.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
It will be interesting to hear what it's chambered in... it was also popular for 28-2's to have the barrel shortened, grip frame rounded and re-chambered to .44 Special, which was also done by Jovino.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts