Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HS-HD-Mil-L-side-e1515191269365.jpg

Share with us what you know about this pistol.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
901 Posts
I should have noted that only standard velocity .22LR ammo should be used in these pistols. There have been reports of cracked frames caused by the use of HV or hyper velocity ammo. Standard velocity ammo runs about 1080 FPS and should be marked on the box. These are excellent pistols but they do require proper measures to keep them running.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
My grandad bought this 4 1/2” HD some time in the late 1940s. It has been shot a LOT and has been well-maintained and otherwise babied all those years.

Wolff still has replacement springs available for it, but you need to be like the Hindu goddess Kali with enough hands and fingers to perform the tricky procedure.
We have fired 1000s and 1000s and 1000s of rounds of HV ammo through it over the decades.....and I doubt that this example has ever seen a standard velocity round in its whole life. It would no doubt be more accurate but we are simply too cheap to shoot such stuff in a sporting/plinking pistol. Besides that....a variant of the HD-Military was chambered in .380 auto, a much higher pressure cartridge than .22LR. JMO....but I wouldn’t consider HV .22 LR rounds to be damaging or threatening if the recoil spring is up to spec. JMO.
I’ve taken this HD to outdoor picnics where casual shooting has gone through an entire 500-round brick in an afternoon without any stoppages except for duds. Like I said....it stays well-maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I just viewed the videos and realized that no one mentioned that the HD has a two-stage trigger. On the example I have, the slack first stage takes the finger back to a crisp 4# break. Some earlier Hi-Standards have pulls adjusted too light that will often "double" or "triple" on you if you try to milk the trigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This model is missing the mag release wondering if it’s safe to shoot.
The rest of the internals are OK. It’s a model HD military

1 - 11 of 11 Posts