Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been a shooter for many years (mostly revolver) but have gone over to semi autos . My recent addition is a Model 59 which I enjoy shooting very much. I have a mag question. Located in New York State (not New York City) and have limited number of 10 round Mec-Gar mags. They work very well. A shooter from another state has offered me a couple of original S&W high capacity mags. On the baseplate they are marked 9MM S&W and have a Capital A on them also. Are these legal for me to have, carry with my Model 59 in New York State ? There is no identification as to whether they originated from the Model 59 or not. Anybody have any comments?

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
You need to ask an FFL license owner or a local Sheriff in your state if the higher capacity mags will be legal where you live. They will know for sure. Asking for legal advice on a forum is not a good idea, unless somebody here has the law credentials to back up their answer. There is so much mis-information out there that asking a simple question concerning guns and/or ammo will get you many answers, and a fair bit of them will be wrong.
You can also go to the state document website and find the specific statute governing the answer to your question. Just google New York state magazine capacity law, and you should find a link to get you there directly.

·
Registered
12,602 Posts
Not a lawyer and not from NY, but I think any magazine that holds over 10 rounds is forbidden in NY state

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You CANNOT carry a gun with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds in New York State. There is another law that states you cannot have more than 7 rounds in your weapon. That portion of the law may have been suspended but as gearchecker has suggested go to your local LE and find out for sure.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Don’t ask LE, ask a lawyer. Cops are a poor source of legal advice. It’s like asking an EMT for diet advice.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Don’t ask LE, ask a lawyer. Cops are a poor source of legal advice. It’s like asking an EMT for diet advice.
I must agree.

NEVER ask the cops. At best you get unreliable info.......at worst they put you on a list of dangerous people.

·
Registered
13,375 Posts
I must agree.

NEVER ask the cops. At best you get unreliable info.......at worst they put you on a list of dangerous people.
Bet I'm on a few lists already.............

1 - 9 of 9 Posts