Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deer could care less about human urine and scat. Over the years I have bathed in apple juice and tomato juice. I have bought all the latest products, like Nose Jammer, and I still get busted!

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Scent is a legitimate concern. But, in almost 40 years of deer hunting, I have not ever used any sort of cover up or soap, etc. to block my scent while hunting. I have over the years done a lot of still hunting simply b/c I just do not enjoy sitting on a stand waiting for a deer to come near. I have gotten as close as maybe 35 feet from a deer by moving extremely quietly, slowly and carefully. A lot of deer hunting is paying attention to the prevailing breeze/wind, cover, food plots, bedding areas, travel routes, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Deer could care less about human urine and scat. Over the years I have bathed in apple juice and tomato juice. I have bought all the latest products, like Nose Jammer, and I still get busted!
Being a Human, with animal instincts mate, you can buy snake oil on every corner. The secret would be to walk the woods,without a weopon and take notes...:)

My o2

Thewelshm

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
Being a Human, with animal instincts mate, you can buy snake oil on every corner. The secret would be to walk the woods,without a weopon and take notes...:)

My o2

Thewelshm
walk in the woods nekked and let the bugs feast on your carcass just like they do on the deer.....:D

I don't use anything either. I wear a Heck's suit under my camo.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts

My o2

Thewelshm
It’s not uncommon at all for me to go scouting and swing through the trees in my big ole loincloth for a couple hours, but I normally have a knife between my teeth. Missus Butchman prefers I swing around with the knife clenched tightly between my teeth, because that keeps me from doing the Tarzan yells so loudly, which stirs up the native females something awful for a couple a weeks.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
i met an old man at the hospital years ago and he told me he wash a chain smoker and the scent of tobacco always hid is scent from deers, can anyone confirm that ??

Deer probably couldn't smell him over the tobacco stench but how would he cover that up? He ever actually see a deer?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Scent is a legitimate concern. But, in almost 40 years of deer hunting, I have not ever used any sort of cover up or soap, etc. to block my scent while hunting. I have over the years done a lot of still hunting simply b/c I just do not enjoy sitting on a stand waiting for a deer to come near. I have gotten as close as maybe 35 feet from a deer by moving extremely quietly, slowly and carefully. A lot of deer hunting is paying attention to the prevailing breeze/wind, cover, food plots, bedding areas, travel routes, etc. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
+1

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I use and have used earth scent and pine scent. When antelope hunting I’ve used sage but the wind never stops blowing on the other side of the hill so it’s less important. But I will swear by the earth scent. I don’t bow hunt, but I do sneak around a lot during rifle season.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Pop was a hunter and a smoker. Usually had one going while still hunting. I do not recall him coming home empty handed.

I don’t smoke and I don’t use anything other than normal hygiene prior to hunting. Same results. But, Pop and I both practiced still hunting. Maybe sitting in a tree has different criteria.

Kevin

·
Registered
12,824 Posts
Reminds me of a Rick Nugent story...

Rick hosts his friends on opening day here in Michigan and I've been to a couple of his pre-opening day bashes. The Nugent's really know how to go all out... Anyway, one of his guests, a contractor from Florida started out hunting at Rick's place smoking a stogie and having the radio going in his blind. No deer. Next year, no radio but still the stogie.... no deer. Finally, on the third year, no stogie and no radio....and still no deer. Could be there was some deer but he was so hung over, he slept through it. Me, I have 2 stationary blinds and 2 tree stands and while I always see deer, I rarely shoot one because at this juncture in my life, it had better be a 10 point buck. I set my standards high.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I still hunt a lot, going into the wind or across it. Like Bruce says, go slow and keep alert. I've used scent at times, mostly Old Spice. If I don't, the wife won't make me breakfast.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I was younger and stayed in the woods all the time, as much as I could, I would make up little pouches of either pine needles or cedar shavings. Use my wife's knee high stockings or pair of pantyhose and cut the panty part off. I would put these in my folded up hunting clothes. I have no idea if it actually did any good. But mostly I got deer with or without.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts