Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I wish I hadn’t watched that. Thankfully those things are way out of my budget!

But close to the Springfield M1A - I’d get one of these over the M1A, I think.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
The M14 with the selector switch for automatic or semiautomatic fire was inferior to the BAR as the automatic rifle in a Marine (4-man) infantry fire team. How do I know this thru personal experience. I fired the BAR at ITR Camp Geiger adjacent to Camp Lejeune. I also carried a M14 in Viet-Nam before the transition to the M16

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The M14 with the selector switch for automatic or semiautomatic fire was inferior to the BAR as the automatic rifle in a Marine (4-man) infantry fire team. How do I know this thru personal experience. I fired the BAR at ITR Camp Geiger adjacent to Camp Lejeune. I also carried a M14 in Viet-Nam before the transition to the M16
Dennis....thank you so much for your Service for our Country !

·
Registered
213 Posts
When I was in the Navy, assigned to a SeaBee battalion (MCB40), everyone that carried a rifle was issued an M14 with the selector switch. We only were allowed to fire the M14s on full auto a few times and each time I came away with the impression that semi-auto was the way to go! I liked the M14 and actually preferred it over the M16. During that time (1969-72), the Army was just getting the M16s and we only had some familiarization time with them but they were never issued to us. I found the M14 to be a very accurate rifle! One thing you had to be careful of was when on the firing range, the shooter next to you would sometimes reach over and set your rifle on full auto! It only had to happen once before you checked it before firing! An M14 on full auto firing from the prone position is not fun!

·
Registered
16,293 Posts
I have a M1A and an M1 Carbine but no M14. Who knows what may happen in the future?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts