Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guess I'm a new member again. I was registered here before, but I had to re-do it today. Anyhoo, I have a 29-5 and a 629-4 both with the underlugged barrels, and I understand these have the "Endurance Package" in them. Wondering what the general consensus is on using the heavy bullet (like 300gr.) bullet loads in these guns. I keep 'em out of my 29-2's, wondering how these models would hold up. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
668 Posts
1) welcome back...

2) IS there really such a thing as "******* in illinois"?

3) 300g in 629-4 and 29-5:

subject to lots of opinions, here's mine:

For hunting, I prefer the absolute best accuracy that I can manage from a handgun. Extra heavy recipes do nothing for my enjoyment. If I truly need extraExtraEXTRA ballistic capacity, I choose larger capacity to begin with.

My perusal of the ballistic tables is rather limited; as I recall from research done years ago, even modest loads in an XP-100-FL308 were superior to heavyHeavyHEAVY IMSHA loads for stalking the wild 200 yd Ram line.

Personally I'm not especially recoil sensitive, but am shocked to find the difference in group sizes at a modest 25 yards in standing 629-5 loads ranging from 800 to 1334 fps using HP 38 and 240 gr SWC. As the charge increases, so did the group size.

Granted, I need a lot of practice with this set up. And my needs are not related to your use. If I had hogs coming at me I'd like a heavy Howdah charge in .75 smooth bore even better than 44 mag.

Heavier slug at distance means heavier charge, means greater velocity, means more fouling, means more lead/copper/etc detracting from accuracy. AND more effort to clean eventually.

The steel targets I use do not need 'supersized'. My paper target groups deteriorate too much to believe I would have a current advantage with heavier recipes.

In SASS matches, I was surprised at the improvement I got in switching from 250 g 45LC moderate loads, to 200 g moderate loads. Greater accuracy, more enjoyment, far less recoil after several hundred downrange in a day, virtually zero cleaning issues.

YMMV

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers. I almost always use 240's at around 1000 fps, just curious as to what would happen if'n I used any big boomers.

There are ******** in IL you just gotta go the southern third of the state to find us. We are here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
iam also a newbie. also got my first smith revolver, a 629-3 6" 44mag. i also have the same ammo question. 240 gr is the heaviest bullet i care to shoot. also is it safe to leave the hammer down on a loaded cylinder?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
4521dln said:
iam also a newbie. also got my first smith revolver, a 629-3 6" 44mag. i also have the same ammo question. 240 gr is the heaviest bullet i care to shoot. also is it safe to leave the hammer down on a loaded cylinder?

Yes, absolutely it is made to be used and carried with all 6 chambers loaded. They have a hammer safety block built in that prevents any accidental discharges. It will only fire if you pull the trigger.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.