Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Names Cole. I’ve got a 44 s&w special CTG with a 6.5 inch barrel. Serial number 26115 stamped on cylinder, bottom of handle, on frame behind where the yoke sits, on flat of the barrel, and written on pencil on inside of stocks (wooden). The letter P is stamped on frame behind Yoke, directly below barrel. And on the frame below that is stamped 56070. Everything has a shiny finish ( not sure in nickel or polished steel) except trigger and hammer. Top of barrel stamped with SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD MASS, U.SA PATENED DEC.17.1901,FEB.6.1906,SEPT.14.1909. Would like to know what model, how old, and possibly value. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Serial number 26115 left the factory in 1927. 44Hand Ejector Model. CTG is an abbreviation for Cartridge, does not indicate the model. Probably nickel, hammers & triggers weren't nickeled @ the factory. We'd need some good pictures showing condition to estimate value.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A464E32C-FD6D-4A15-A4B1-02CF21BCDAC1.jpeg

Sorry I don’t have better pictures at the moment. In the process of dis-assembly. Im more interested in what model. Or what I can call it. Also I’m thinking about stripping and refinishing or blueing. Would this hurt value or is it in too bad of shape to be worrying about value anyways? It seems to be original so I’d like to keep it as original as possible, while still functioning.

·
Registered
21,976 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!:)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Hi Coleg1121,

A warm welcome to the forum.

Visit often. welcome01

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Leo918, could I strip it a blue it fairly easy? It’s my grandfathers gun and I’d like to give it back to him looking the best it can look! If nothing else, maybe remove what rust I can, polish nice and polish up the wood stocks? Also would you happen to know what the finish is? Greatly appreciated sir.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also how would you guys recommend to get the best clean. I’ve soaked all steel non-plated parts in hops no. 9. Also soaked springs and detents. I know no. 9 will ruin the finish if it’s nickel. Appreciated the help and sorry about all the questions!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Spray brake cleaner followed by soaking in ATF. If you're going to refinish the gun, see post in your other thread.

Edit: may be obvious, but of course, don't soak the stocks ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the stocks in a 48hr sulfuric acid soak.. hahaha! Any advice on polishing or fixing up the stocks? Maybe just pledge? They seem to be original. They have the correct serial number written in pencil but I realize that doesn’t mean much. Thanks

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
They have the correct serial number written in pencil but I realize that doesn’t mean much. Thanks
Oh yes it does. Numbered to the gun stocks are a premium worth preserving. If they're really dirty, some mineral spirits on a tooth brush followed by some paste wax. You can leave the insides alone.

I got the stocks in a 48hr sulfuric acid soak.. hahaha!
:lol: Oh, you wouldn't believe what folks have done.

Reactions: Injunbro

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida. weiweinp

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That’s a great old gun.

It is definitely a nickel finish. Normally we would say do t use Hoppes on it since it can damage nickel. Unfortunately, the finish is already in very tough shape.

I might be considered the heathen here but you might consider getting it cleaned up then doing a Ceracoat finish. They have some colors that approximate blued finishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts