Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys having trouble finding reloading components?
Primers shelves are practically bare in the shops......Powder pretty low in supply as well......
People hoarding up I guess.....

·
Super Moderator
14,066 Posts
So far, plenty in stock - but only in my storage cabinet... Most new ones are going directly to ammo manufacturers and commercial reloaders.

Give it time... Things will normalize.

Reactions: jeepnut and paulwv

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Yep, components are mostly gone and have been for a couple months. I have heard that manufacturers of ammunition were caught short, which has led to them being unable to keep up on loaded ammo production. Us reloaders probably won't see primers until they have caught up.
I was caught somewhat short on small pistol primers. I usually keep about 10,000 -11,000 small pistol, magnum small pistol and Large pistol primers on hand, with 50%-60% being small pistol. I only had 7500-8000 on hand back in June. I manged to get 1000 magnum small pistol primers back in August. Now down to about 3000 small pistol, 1400 magnum small pistol and maybe 1600 large pistol, but I have been loading a lot too lately so There is a good supply of reloaded ammo on hand. I have a thousand CCI small rifle primers too, but don't load any rifle calibers. I was, and still am considering starting to load for my AR and Mini-14, but in no hurry, but that's why i bought them. Have heard I can use them in place of small pistol, or they are trade fodder for same

·
Registered
573 Posts
So far, plenty in stock - but only in my storage cabinet... Most new ones are going directly to ammo manufacturers and commercial reloaders.

Give it time... Things will normalize.

I wish that I had your confidence in the state of affairs. I hope that I’m wrong.....but, I think things politically will continue to deteriorate and the ammo/component shortage will not get better, as more people fear what they see as inevitable! memtb

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
As I see it , if the balloon goes up , components on hand won't matter as much as ready ammo. I feel bad for the new gun buyers who can't find ammo for their new guns but prudence should have brought them along a while back.

·
Registered
573 Posts
As I see it , if the balloon goes up , components on hand won't matter as much as ready ammo. I feel bad for the new gun buyers who can't find ammo for their new guns but prudence should have brought them along a while back.
There may be a bright side to this. If, in fact, things do “normalize” the market may soon be flooded with “like new” used guns.....giving many of us the opportunity to buy more firearms....that we don’t need! :eek: memtb

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
One small shop near me has virtually no primers except few large pistol magnum and very little in the way of bullets. Lots of some powders, but not the 3 or 4 that I let myself get down to a pound or two. My bad.
Owner told me today that he got in 2 cases of 9mm on Friday aft and it was all gone by Sat. closing. I will not be buying any factory ammo except maybe for a few of my rifles, but I reload for them anyway and are good on primers except for small rifle match. Lots of regular small rifle, so I can still load and maybe not see any accuracy difference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Every four years, the Olympics come around and ammo shortages come around (something must happen every 4 years in the US). Add BLM and antifa wanting to start another civil war, so gun purchases are WAY up (and guns need ammo).
Why does this surprise anyone?

·
Registered
28,221 Posts
You guys having trouble finding reloading components?
Primers shelves are practically bare in the shops......Powder pretty low in supply as well......
People hoarding up I guess.....
Where have you been for the last 6 months? The shortages aren't new. They'll continue for quite some time

Reactions: sparkyv

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Where have you been for the last 6 months? The shortages aren't new. They'll continue for quite some time
I have never had problems getting what I wanted in reloading supplies until recently....................................................at least around HERE

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
No apparent shortages here. I'm like Marc.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I'm declaring a moratorium on shooting, until components are available again. Not going to shoot what I can't replace, other than .22 ammo. I've got a boatload of that.

·
Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Have no fear! Any new anti-gun legislation is a fantasy until mid-February. It will take at least that long for Congress to get organized. Right now there is a flood of primers, powder, and bullets on the water in container ships coming from Europe. You may not like the brands or are not familiar with the powder, but it will be on dealers' shelves before Christmas. Shooters World Powder is readily available in Augusta, GA and load data is available on the internet. The data does not cover every brand of bullet with every workable powder, but there is tested data. Estimation, interpolation, and testing may be needed along with sensible decisions. I got answers and starting points for 223 Rem and 30 Herrett Contender loads with lighter bullets. My chronograph will tell me the rest of the story.

I've been shooting as much this summer as I could because of high temps and humidity. My wife had an invitation to come along, but chose to stay home with her mask.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Have no fear! Any new anti-gun legislation is a fantasy until mid-February. It will take at least that long for Congress to get organized. Right now there is a flood of primers, powder, and bullets on the water in container ships coming from Europe. You may not like the brands or are not familiar with the powder, but it will be on dealers' shelves before Christmas. Shooters World Powder is readily available in Augusta, GA and load data is available on the internet. The data does not cover every brand of bullet with every workable powder, but there is tested data. Estimation, interpolation, and testing may be needed along with sensible decisions. I got answers and starting points for 223 Rem and 30 Herrett Contender loads with lighter bullets. My chronograph will tell me the rest of the story.

I've been shooting as much this summer as I could because of high temps and humidity. My wife had an invitation to come along, but chose to stay home with her mask.
Shooter's World powders ("Lovex" in Europe) are very high quality powders from the Czech Republic. Unfortunately "Augusta, GA" is 2.5 hours away (Shooter's World's national distributor in the US is in Greenville, SC). This powder brand has been available in this country for years but unfortunately like others, is perpetually OOS due to demand.

Now for the primers:

The overseas primers that are supposedly enroute are Ginex (sp?). A bunch of independent gun shops made some sort of large group buy and the going price I've seen is $60/1k with no price break for larger amounts. These shops want you to pay up front just for the primers and then when they supposedly arrive in December you'll be charged additionally for sales tax, shipping/Hazmat. Personally, I'll take a hard pass. The quality of these primers is not that of US-made brands.

Normalization of ammo and reloading components esp. primers was estimated to take at least three years provided Trump won the election. All bets are off now.

You either learned a lesson from the last panic or you didn't.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Both shops that I know of that were taking pre-orders for Ginex primers are now OOS I'm assuming they have pre-sold their expected allotments.

One shop was Armadillo Arms in Ferndale WA

The other shop was North Fork Tactical (don't know the location)

BTW Ginex primers are from Bosnia.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts