Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Now that is one RARE JOSE.......

Sweet.....

Nice.....

I'm soooooo envious. I wondered the 4- corners of the globe for my first 17-1.... and Giz found it first.... cost me a 3" 66-2....

But Be Careful, K-22's are like crack they're so addictive..... ask me I know.....

Drop me a line if you ever tire of it..... Pleeeeeaase?

Drew

PS: does it fit in the box with the Targets on it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Dash ones are very rare birds indeed.
Excellent gun, excellent choice. Be proud!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Sebago Son said:

I'm soooooo envious. I wondered the 4- corners of the globe for my first 17-1.... and Giz found it first.... cost me a 3" 66-2....

Drew
...and now I have the 3" 66. It's like a viscious circle. :lol:

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Cush said:
Sebago Son said:

Drew
...and now I have the 3" 66. It's like a viscious circle. :lol:
And incestuous too.... :p

G

·
0 Posts
I find that the Dash ones are the most interesting of all the S&W's...I'm speaking of course of the dash ones in the standard production.

As Drew said, they are a rare Jose'...and if the truth be told... :)
I'm guessing that less then 10 examples of that 8 3/8"s inch version are known between this and the other S&W forum.

So, Amigo....

You have a scarce bird in your hands....

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I'll not take anything away from the rarity of this example, but 10 such pieces is probably off....

17-1's were in production for between 14-16 (1959-1961) months depending on who you talk to. The 8 3/8" length had been introduced during the last years of the 17-No Dash, 1958. During this time period, approximately 100,000 "K" serials were issued, and while I believe that the preponderance of these were K-38's, a large share of these were K-22's. These were selling very well at the time.

The 8 3/8" guns were favored for Indoor Gallery and other formal Match Shooting at the time and because of that I would conclude that there was still demand for this length given that Smith had only begun production of the 8 3/8" guns a few months before.

I have no empirical evidence, but based upon 30+ years of collecting K-22's, my guess would be of the 100,000 KT guns from this era, 40% would be K-22's, and 5% of those would be 8 3/8" guns. My estimate would be around 2,000 such guns produced.

To find one in this condition is certainly a high point of any collector's career.

Drew

G

·
0 Posts
Drew,

My point was 10 pieces between the two forums :)

Still bet I'm right...Prove me wrong and I will personally hand deliver over to you a complete Apple Crisp tray from my bride, hell ~ I'll even toss in the Vanilla Ice Creme and a bottle of your favorite
Schnapps to wash it down with as a desert appertiff.....might even toss in a Cuban... :mrgreen:

If you forego the "Other Forum" ....I'll accept the S&W Collectors Association as fair trade against the bet... Think I only know of 3 or 4 over there.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You know those guys are on the other boards.... I won't bother with the inquiry....

'Cides. I'm gonna get the chrisp no matter what. And because Jules is such a fine person, there's nothing you can do to stop me.

So Hah!

(Thought you were implying that there were only 10 17-1's ever produced in the 8 3/8" length.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, All I know is that I looked for a long time for a Md-17-2 exactly like this one and never found one. When I saw this one I just HAD to have it. I may have paid to much but I am glad I bought this one.

G

·
0 Posts
bravastar1,,,

Good on you, my friend...it rarely gets much better then finding one like that.!!!

Oh, and don't take Drew and I too seriously. We bicker on the forums, but we are good friends and shoot together often. If he says it's a fine sunny day, I'll tell you it's raining... :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum, nice to have someone with great taste in S&W's come aboard....

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Don't tell me about paying too much....

This is what $1000 looks like....

17-No Dash. Perfect. With Box. I couldn't pass either.

No wonder I'm such a grouch....

Drew

·
Registered
898 Posts
I think I saw one at our Sheriff's dept. gun buy back last week...the guy got a 50 dollar Target gift card for it....I'd check it out of it wasn't already in the crusher.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
sipowicz said:
I'd check it out of it wasn't already in the crusher.
Sip, you are an evil, sick, twisted individual.

May scabies infest your body armor and a wino puke in the backseat of your unit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
"The 8 3/8" guns were favored for Indoor Gallery and other formal Match Shooting at the time and because of that I would conclude that there was still demand for this length given that Smith had only begun production of the 8 3/8" guns a few months before."

Nice tidbit of information Drew. I've always wondered what the purpose was for the 8 3/8-inch barrel length. Other than to captivate me about 1980.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ain't quite the same, but I took my 17-4 out for a little exercise today...got some nice groups sub 1" at 25 and 50'....best one was about 1/2" across. And was surprised to find it would take down the 8" falling plate rack if you hit the right spot....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts