Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shuffling around guns I came across this gem..it's a Centennial bigger than a J frame. A 7 shot .38 Special +P rated. Scandium frame and titanium cylinder. 18.9oz, so pretty light. Made for only one year,1999. I have a couple of 296 Centennials, which are 5 shot .44 specials of similar construction..but did not remember buying this oddball.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Since I've been acquiring guns for almost 50 years some do fall through the cracks.Unless I use them regularly they often get "forgotten". That's why it's fun to do inventory every now and then. I also found a whole case of 10mm ammo I knew I had bought but for the life of me, could not remember where I had stashed it. Found it today under some boxed "collectible" knives ,of all places. Good time to "find" free ammo!

There are quite a few "rare" S&W models that were built in that stretch of the Scandium/titanium innovation...90s to 2000 but they did not sell well as I believe the autoloaders were really hitting their stride about then and for less money you could own a handgun with twice the capacity. They kind of died on the vine so to speak..but it does make for an interesting add to the "collection". It may be the only 7 shot dedicated 38 Special Revolver S&W made? No HH either...;)

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
I have one that is nearly as scarce but a lesser brand.
Taurus 617 TTi (TTi = Total Titanium)
7 shot, K-frame sized frame & cylinder with a J-frame sized grip
All titanium except for the barrel liner, hammer, trigger, and springs.
19 oz unloaded. One nice feature is the ported barrel - three 1/8" diameter ports drilled along each side of the front sight.
Helps reduce muzzle flip a LOT and makes the recoil push almost straight back into your palm instead of torquing upwards.
It is my favorite 357 magnum carry revolver.

·
Registered
10,109 Posts
Hey 500,

That Sir! That is a fine looking "Pocket Full of Fun"!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
26,098 Posts
7 shots? Does that qualify as a pocket gun?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts