Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like them as they are made in the USA. Here is my current rifle (a Big Boy.357 Mag):

I am looking at a Henry H001 in .22 and a nice Henry Golden Boy H004. Both are NIB and $750. I have $550 in my Big Boy .357.

I can't show the pictures (not mine), but it looks like a Henry lever-action .22 NIB 18" with the Henry Golden Boy .22 NIB 20" octagon barrel (gold-like finish).

No fees as I have license. Please offer your honest opinion. Pass or Buy?

· Registered
24,058 Posts
If that is 750 for both then would not hesitate at all. I have my Henry 22 with about 400.00 in it. It was smooth right out of the box and is a real tack driver. I have Henry rifles in 45 Colt, 357 mag, and 41 Mag too and are all very accurate. Good luck getting them.

· Registered
23,659 Posts
It's not a gold plated receiver, it's CNC machined from a hard brass block. Have one in 44 with a Leupold scope, same one they have a picture of in the catalog. In fact mine is the one the picture is of. Nice rifle for deer. Just make sure you crimp every case. Because it's tube fed, setback can be an issue with recoil.

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If that is 750 for both then would not hesitate at all.
Thanks,
It is $750 for both and on the ODT with pictures. I was going to roll up there (one hour from me) and get them.

He was busy today and was working all this next week. Just saying, but sellers should be flexible. I may find a better deal before he is available.

Plus, I really have no need for another old rifle. :oops:

Reactions: jeepnut

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's not a gold plated receiver, it's CNC machined from a hard brass block.
I never said that it was gold. Henry calls a Gold Boy due to it's shiny finish. The finish upgrade is all good to me as shown as a upgrade to the stock rifle.

· Registered
24,058 Posts
Thanks,
It is $750 for both and on the ODT with pictures. I was going to roll up there (one hour from me) and get them.

He was busy today and was working all this next week. Just saying, but sellers should be flexible. I may find a better deal before he is available.

Plus, I really have no need for another old rifle. :oops:
Well, you can snooze and lose as a seller too no matter what the reason. But then again, need has nothing to do with it. Mine have taken over the spare bedroom.

· Registered
5,134 Posts
I have had three Henry .22's. The golden boy was a good shooter, but my eyes demand some type of optic and that is difficult at best with the golden boy. The next Henry was a pump with octagon barrel , but it was quickly sold because the action was so stiff it was very hard to work from the shoulder. The one I still have is the frontier model (also octagon barrel ) and the rifle has a very slick action and is very accurate.

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, you can snooze and lose as a seller too no matter what the reason. But then again, need has nothing to do with it. Mine have taken over the spare bedroom.
Rod,
I hear you. I just found the two Henry .22 rifles very interesting and have the extra cash money from sales on ODT..

I got the sales for offering a good price and being available. I have a 61+ plus rating with no negatives. It seems unusual to me to offer a gun and not be available?

· Super Moderator
16,036 Posts
A couple of beautifully engraved "Mare's Leg" style short Henry lever action rifles showed up at the LGS and lasted about 48 hours before both being sold.

They were beautifully made.

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
.....it is hard to say which one is my favorite, i like them both about equal. but i will say, the 22 mag is much easier on the shoulder after 25 rounds.
I twice fired a .45-70 from a Marlin which almost killed my shoulder.

· Registered
712 Posts
45-70 is like a 50 cal Thompson muzzle loader. if you have it firmly seated in the shoulder, it "pushes"
if you sorta hold it near your shoulder, it will break your shoulder, and knock you back 6 foot flat on your asterisk with the gun doing somersaults behind you.

· Registered
23,659 Posts
I never said that it was gold. Henry calls a Gold Boy due to it's shiny finish. The finish upgrade is all good to me as shown as a upgrade to the stock rifle.

You said in your post 'Gold like finish'. It's polished hard brass. I'll leave it at that.

· Premium Member
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He is keeping it and selling me another one (H001 in .22). I also got my new Henry catalog in the mail today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.