Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a Henry Lever Action in .44 magnum.
The loading tube has a black O ring. When you twist it the loading tube either locks or unlocks to facilitate loading/unloading the rifle.
The compression of the O ring is so stiff I cannot press it down to lock or unlock it.
Is there a color code for O ring compression that I could buy to lessen the force needed to push it down?

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
I had the same issue as well on my 44 Henry. Remove the 'O' ring and apply some spray silicone to it. That will reduce the seating force required.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The 'originals' weren't 44 RM either, they were 45-70 Government. (I think).
45-70 would have blown a Henry to bits had it been possible to chamber a round--which of course it wasn't, as the original fired 44 RF, holding about 30 g. of BP. These repros are a hundred times stronger if they can handle 44RM!

·
Premium Member
10,730 Posts
I bought an O Ring replacement kit from my local store that sells Chinese made tools. It's got rings made of silicone materials that work in many gun related application.

Reactions: Boriqua and Hunter

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks to all. Silicone it is. Why didn't I think of it? Why didn't Henry recommend it or use a silicone O ring to start with?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Excellent point.

I got into a similar discussion with a guy who got a CMMG 10 MM pisto.

He had some issues and added enough options to it to overcome some issues that raised the price of ownership to a crazy level.

The point is weapon manufacturers should design and manufacture their weapons good enough that we don’t waste time and money to make them more usable and reliable. This includes virtually every manufacturer.

·
Registered
13,383 Posts
Better yet, shoot Anthony an e-mail. He will answer personally. Good guy and takes everything seriously.

Reactions: needsmostuff

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update Update Update Contacted Henry Customer Service. They are aware of the problem. They're going to send me O rings, silicone, that should do the trick. They also said they are going to review forums for potential problems/solutions to the problem. In the meantime I soaked one in Hoppes oil and it appears to have softened and reduced the compression to manageable/useable operation.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I wonder if its just the .44? I have a new 357 and while it is very snug its certainly not to difficult to use and it looks like ordinary black rubber. I just want to take some measurements and get a few for stand by.

Cool that you got yours squared away .. man I love shooting mine!!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wonder if its just the .44? I have a new 357 and while it is very snug its certainly not to difficult to use and it looks like ordinary black rubber. I just want to take some measurements and get a few for stand by.

If you get extras make sure they are silicone. I don't know if the .357 and .44 are different.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If you get extras make sure they are silicone. I don't know if the .357 and .44 are different.
I was hoping to pick them up in the lowes Plumbing section but it may require a deeper search if I am looking for silicon. Going to give Granger a try since htey are not to far from me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Not squared away.
Sent me the wrong O rings probably for a .22 loading tube. Also, not silicone. This is getting old.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Not squared away.
Sent me the wrong O rings probably for a .22 loading tube. Also, not silicone. This is getting old.
I havent made the trip over to Grainger but it sounds like something they or Mcmaster-carr should have if you can get a good measure. I was always very lucky finding odd ball stuff at mcmaster.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

https://www.grainger.com/

Alex

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Latest update.
After all the fuss I went to Harbor Freight and bought a O ring assortment (non silicone). It contained green O rings and I found a ring that fit the inside dimension but was slightly thinner. It worked a whole lot easier and was a $10 fix. No follow up from Henry customer service.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts