Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a companion to my 357 handguns and have been lusting over a 16" henry with brass reciever. I handled a 45 version and it was just a thing of beauty. I just dont know about the tube feed?

I dont hunt so it would be a toy or my long gun in case the chinese parachute into mesa. The Marlin might be tge better using gun ... but I cant make up my mind. Give me your thoughts.

·
Registered
5,164 Posts
Either rifle is simply excellent. Have been looking real hard at the Henry. A lever action .357 Mag. with the now available side-gate loading coupled with the extremely excellent fit/finish of the Henry would be a real nice rifle for range or the woods and fields. I had a 1894 .44 Mag. back in 1995. Fine rifle. Shot very well. Would imagine a .357 Mag. would have shot just as well. My brother had one in .357 Mag. and he shot the hound out of it with reloads. It did not do so well w/ cast lead bullets. That would be a deal breaker for me. The standard rifling of the Henry would certainly be more useful w/ cast lead bullets. I am looking very hard at the Henry. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
I have a Henry and I have a few Marlins. I do like the Henry for the 357 mag, 41 Mag, and 45 Colt as the tube feed is reliable and easy to use. The Marlin is a ported 45-70 and having used both I feel it is really just a matter of preference. I think is easy load the tube and the Henrys are very accurate. I also feel the Henry action was very smooth right out of the box. The Marlin was used but still just as smooth. I have not found any issues with the loading of them both on the range. I have thought about in the field and agree, the tube feeds have about 10 rounds so feel like not an issue with reloading. The 45-70 though has 4 in tube so is easier to me reloading from the side load. I would recommend the Big Loop Lever as is easier to use with gloves and just looks good. I also have written Antony Imperato and he has always written me back and helped get the 41 Mag in two weeks after waiting over a year for it. I think Henry's customer service and PR is excellent. Their guns do seem to be excellent quality. Also would get the Octagon barrel as are a little heavier and just looks better to me. I also have never had an issue with any of the Henrys feeding any ammo I use including reloads. My favorite is the Henry overall but the Marlin is in the 45-70 is great for my needs and I did have a Marlin 44 mag but traded it off. Below is Henry Big Steel Silver 357, Henry 41 Mag, Henry 45 Colt, and Marlin 45-70.
IMG_3712.JPG
IMG_3795.JPG
Henry 45 Colt2.jpg
1895 GBL.jpg

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I keep swapping out my Marlins for Henrys,,,,,, and that's a shame cuz I really like Marlins. I do it just to get away from Microgroove and cast bullet issues.
I have no problem with tube feed guns , I've been shooting 22s like that my whole life,
My biggest beef with henrys is they are HEAVY.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
The Henry centerfire rifles have an action that is basically patterned after Marlin, so what really differentiates the the two is build quality, features and service.

Henry wins hands down in build quality and customer service, which borders on legendary.

As for features... for cast bullets, the Henry with it's conventional rifling comes out ahead.

Loading gate versus tube magazine? Well that's really more of a personal preference, but I'm really hoping that the Henry side gate model line gets expanded, as that really is a nice option to be able to unload through the mag tube without needing to cycle the action, and top off the mag tube through the loading gate... the best of both worlds.

Needsmostuff has hit on the one Henry trait that's objectionable... weight, especially the Big Boy brass receiver models with the heavier octagonal barrel. But damn, they sure do look good. I guess it wouldn't be as much as a factor for something that's used mainly for a range gun, where it will be shot more from a bench, with a rest, instead of freehand.

I've been lusting for a .327 Federal Big Boy for awhile... I think I may finally need to do something about that, and even if Marlin made an 1894 again in .327 Federal, I think I'd still go with a Henry for the build quality and customer service... and I'm a push over for octagon barrelled rifles.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My LGS has a Henry and Marlin, both new, side by side in their gun rack. The prices were high for the Henry, both rifles chambered for .44 magnum. I carefully levered them and the Henry was smooth and the Marlin, by comparison, was heavy and rough, for lack of better words. Now, I don't need either one of them, but if I did I'd take the Henry. (need is a funny word)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't have either in .357 however, a year and a half ago I bought a Henry big boy steel in .44 magnum. Quality is outstanding. Better than any Winchester or Marlin I've had. It feeds SWC's just fine.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went ahead and ordered a Henry with a 16.5in barrel, Brass receiver and butt plate, octagon bbl. I have been lusting after that gun for years. Its kind of irresponsible since i have no real use for it but ... Damn ... it sure is pretty and the one I got to handle gave me the willies it was so pretty. Cant wait to shoot it!!!

Now to start thinking about the scabbard I am going to make for it! I also have to think about whether it means I should change my reload formula specific for the rifle .. Hmmmmm

·
Registered
119 Posts
Considering the price of one of the few .32 H&R Marlin 1894s still not hoarded by Mr. "corner the market", I'll have to deal with the weight of the Henry. As I want it to shoot, I'll order it as light as possible... short barrel, etc.

All I will likely shoot is .32 H&R, so the Marlin would be a better fit... but I'm not rich enough to win a bidding war.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I keep swapping out my Marlins for Henrys,,,,,, and that's a shame cuz I really like Marlins. I do it just to get away from Microgroove and cast bullet issues.
I have no problem with tube feed guns , I've been shooting 22s like that my whole life,
My biggest beef with henrys is they are HEAVY.
From what I have read on two cast bullet sites, the Marlins micro groove barrels need a larger diameter bullet than a Ballard grooved barrel. I do not own a Marlin but that is the general consensus. There are also molds cut specifically for the Marlin rifles to provide better fit for the rifling.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
From what I have read on two cast bullet sites, the Marlins micro groove barrels need a larger diameter bullet than a Ballard grooved barrel. I do not own a Marlin but that is the general consensus. There are also molds cut specifically for the Marlin rifles to provide better fit for the rifling. Kevin
Yup ,,,That's the standard internet wisdom but ,,,, It has not worked that way for me .
To apply that selective magic you have to be a able to cast, control hardness and size your own ,,,,,,,,,, which I don't.
For me the real benefits of cast bullet shooting revolve around being able to use the same "off the shelf " components and loads I use in a companion revolver. Who needs to have to keep separate rifle and pistol ammo or the havoc if they get intermingled. Eternal load and bullet testing is also part of that plan.
Way easier just to use jacketed in the microgroovers. fhfjjjj

Ya know, another pro Henry point that is never looked at is extra safety, lawyer designed thingies. Henry don't got em.
Marlin has the silly hammer block button (easy to engage or forget about at the wrong time) and Winchester has the disliked rebound hammer design + a hammer block safety on the newer ones.

Henry does not need them because secretly hiding ,,,way inside ,,,, is a transfer bar safety .
They don't advertise it and I only found it while doing a trigger job on one of mine. fnovnpoa

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
Both are fine choices.

I considered both. Didn't much care for the brass receiver or weight of the Henry, but the deal breaker for me was tube loading. Henry recently introduced side loading gate but last time I looked that didn't include .357. The action on my 1894c is particularly smooth.

Shown here with an original Shooboy sight adjustment tool. :D

IMG_5410.jpg

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so now that I have one coming .. and know little about lever actions past they use a lever to feed and eject ... If you want to load 7+1 what is the procedure. Amazingly I didnt find any info on google or youtube.

So do you load the tube, chamber one and then open the tube to load one more or do you load the tube with the lever in the down position and then after loading the tube and locking the cap put a round directly into the chamber ... Or ???

Second question ... can I assume coated LSWC are safe with their flat noses?

Damn .. I would have thought waiting for new toys would have gotten easier after at least 50!

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Ok so now that I have one coming .. and know little about lever actions past they use a lever to feed and eject ... If you want to load 7+1 what is the procedure. Amazingly I didnt find any info on google or youtube.

So do you load the tube, chamber one and then open the tube to load one more or do you load the tube with the lever in the down position and then after loading the tube and locking the cap put a round directly into the chamber ... Or ???

Damn .. I would have thought waiting for new toys would have gotten easier after at least 50!
Never gets easy waiting for your new toy no matter what it is. I have never carried one in chamber but should say how in the manual.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts

My experience is that none of my 357 lever guns Winchester 73, Uberti 1892, Henry big boy likes swc ammo. All feed and run with jacketed hollow point and rnfp bullets just fine. If you decide to try swc, be sure you understand how to disassemble to clear jams!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts