Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What in the wide, wide world of sports have I got here,,, this is the most accurate hand gun I have ever seen. It about takes a pipe wrench to just field strip it. Note the extra chunk of metal in the slide that puts the barrel in place while in battery. Definitely 'old school' trigger stop, the bushing is after market and the barrel looks machined for it. The slide is ,,, tight is an understatement. Old school pin gun? Built by who?
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Font
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory
Bumper Motor vehicle Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Font
Table Rectangle Wood Grey Tints and shades
Rectangle Gadget Grille Font Electric blue
Netbook Bumper Office equipment Material property Automotive design
Toy Gun accessory Auto part Gun barrel Cable
Tool Rectangle Automotive exterior Office supplies Composite material
Automotive design Grey Air gun Trigger Gun barrel
Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory Trigger Revolver
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Font

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Hey AZ,

A Mr. Giles, former Armorer for the USAF Pistol Team used to do work such as that.

Locally, a Mr. Hankey would do all of that for BULLSEYE Guns. He had about a dozen folk at Camp Perry every year, using his center fire guns, in both 38 Special & 45acp.

There were several others....(Clark, Swenson...etc) do not know if they welded the shim to the slide or not?

Later, Mark

·
Super Moderator
19,863 Posts
It's a competition 1911. My dad had one nearly identical to yours. they're awesome shooters and for a 1911 incredibly accurate. Very manageable recoil as well.
congrats!

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Close ups of the 'new to me' but I suppose old school way to squeeze more accuracy out of a 1911.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Bumper
Rectangle Wood Font Wood stain Gas

·
Registered
9,733 Posts
Hey AZ,

You have a real treasure...

Any idea of the vintage?

Later, Mark

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey AZ,

You have a real treasure...

Any idea of the vintage?

Later, Mark
According to Proofhouse, 1966, which falls in line with other lettered serials, about October of 66.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now, the rest of the story,,,
A retired Phoenix Police Department Sargent down in San Tan had three, (3), Colt 1911 pistols. He also has a nickel Colt SAA New Frontier, 2nd gen in .357. He has his flat latch 36 but desired a S&W revolver chambered for .357. I have no clue what made him think I needed a full size 1911,, my shoulder and hands are already complaining about it. But, I have known that retired sargent since March of 1961 so,,,. He's happy,, no, he's excited about getting a model 19. The entire package in the photos below.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

He has been working on the box, on and off, for about 2 months. He told me I can finish it. IKEA gifting?
Rectangle Wood Textile Art Paint

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
God and JMB.
I bow to your good fortune.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
11,652 Posts
AZMick, tell that retired police sergeant to read my new book, I think he in particular would like it! ;)

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
Looks like a great bullseye gun!..Congrats!

Reactions: msharley and azmick

·
Registered
11,404 Posts
It's a Colt National Match before it became the Gold Cup. Your's has some mods to increase accuracy. The piece in the ejection port is to better locate the barrel shot after shot, to reduce movement of the barrel. The barrel bushing looks like it's not factory and it's fitted to the barrel and slide. Nice Colt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts