Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
two VERY cool guns..

top one a No. 3 1st model American in .44 s&w from around 1872 ? have to look a little deeper.. maybe a first model russian? anything else on the top of the barrel ?

bottom one - the 'baby' russian - 38 single action 1st model - 38 S&W around 1877

Registered
The top one looks like a 2nd Model American. Made between 1872-1874. They're quite pricey. A good one can be worth a couple thousand.

The bottom one looks like a baby Russian as noted above..

Reactions: Boriqua and jeepnut

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
No other markings on top of first one. Been offer $1600 for both is that a fair or under priced?

Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 馃槑
@Samurai1

id think way under.. the 44 could be worth double that alone.. just my 2 cents..

the book (couple years old) on th 44 is 3000 Very Good, 1800 Good.. and 38 is at least worth 500 / 600

both guns seem pretty original - if they had been reworked, refinished they will take a hit and could be in that neighborhood..

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
The model 3 has serial number on one grip and and bottom of grip Handel. The cylinder has 3 digit number but not matching( assembly number?) the gun is tight and the is nice . The baby finish is 99 % intact and original. All matching numbers action is tight and bore strong and clean.

Premium Member
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! What calibre is the .44 -- American or Russian? If the cylinder chamber has a step toward the front, it is Russian. Bored through, it is American. Also, the gun has been refinished from the polished down rim of the sideplate. On an original gun, that should be almost seamless. Otherwise, it was done pretty well. What you were offered was a lowball even with the refinish.

Registered
Priceless if your Uncle left them to you mate...

thewelshm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts