Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I saw this Schofield at a local gun store I placed it on hold with a model 3 Russian. I'm checking to see which would be the better purchase? The Schofield is $300.00 more then the Russian both are priced under $1700.00. Any help would be great.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,000 Posts
Second model scofield - 1876 Wells Fargo markings look decent- but fake markings NOT UNCOMMON - id want to have some provenance on that before id pay up on it

No 3 third model 1874/78 - numbered in the special REISSUE range (1-9000) - looks OK - is that a target model ? - looks like it with that front sight..

when you get ones this old, alot of things can have happened to it - verify serial numbers, chambering.. bore, action, etc.. repairing one of these is a difficult exercise..

tough to give advice on both these.. Scofields certainly command more money but there are many dedicated No 3 collectors..

Id be drawn more to the No 3 myself, but id not be yanking out my wallet on either gun.. just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Second model scofield - 1876 Wells Fargo markings look decent- but fake markings NOT UNCOMMON - id want to have some provenance on that before id pay up on it

No 3 third model 1874/78 - numbered in the special REISSUE range (1-9000) - looks OK - is that a target model ? - looks like it with that front sight..

when you get ones this old, alot of things can have happened to it - verify serial numbers, chambering.. bore, action, etc.. repairing one of these is a difficult exercise..

tough to give advice on both these.. Scofields certainly command more money but there are many dedicated No 3 collectors..

Id be drawn more to the No 3 myself, but id not be yanking out my wallet on either gun.. just my 2 cents..
The No3 has target sights and two tap holes for mounting a something but not sure what?

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,000 Posts
are they tapped or smooth ? thought that there was oil hole there - not sure about 2 though ..

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I'd pick the #3 as well. Love my Schofields..but I like em long and original S&W issue.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
On cherrys.com there is an old S&W 44 DA that's in much better condition and priced at 1795.00 if your interested. It's not mine and I have no connection to it. It's just a nice old S&W.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks like I going to pass on both just got informed job cut because of covid. Thank you for your replys!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts