Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was giving my new acquisition a good cleaning before wrapping it in VCI paper and putting it in the safe.
I noticed on the inside of the yoke body it had some stampings that seem in no way to reference its serial number.
Any information you could give me such as whether or not this was a common practice is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much, Brian

Attachments

·
Registered
682 Posts
ASSEMBLY (factory work) #s:

These multi-digit numbers of 3 to 5 digits, are on the yoke at the hinge, in the ‘yoke cut’ on frame opposite the yoke near the hinge (usually accompanied with the inspector’s letter or # code stamp of approval, but not always), and inside of the sideplate, for the pre war and early post war period thru ~early 1958.

After 1957 Model #s were assigned and stamped on the frame in the yoke cut. The serial # was soon after added in the ‘yoke cut’ as well and the assembly # moved to the left side of the grip frame parallel to the butt. More currently beginning in the 1980s we see non-matching multi-digit numbers parallel to the butt left or right side, and inside the side plate. Once the gun is shipped, the only use for the assembly # is to confirm the three parts it's stamped on, are original to the gun.

However, the stamping on your gun doesn't look like a typical assembly #. What vintage is your gun and are the characters stamped in the other two places described above?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much for the detailed post Hondo44. It is a model 29-3 Silhouette. I put it up in the safe the other day but next time I get it out I’ll check for those extra numbers. Again thank you for taking the time to answer so thoroughly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts