Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen manufacture dates by S/N in forums but still a little confusing for me. Hoping someone can help...

I have a .38SPCL (Model 36) with S/N 1J7xx5. I'm guessing that means 1971 but hoping someone can confirm.

Mange Takk

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
There is no simple formula for Smith serial numbers. That number you gave doesn't look right the serial number is located on the bottom of the grip frame

The 1j serial numbers started in 1982

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Savage and BlazerMark,
Dad retired law enforcement in 1984 and said he purchased this gun in the early 80s as surplus. Another replier said 1971-72 so I'll just assume it is early 70s (old surplus) or early 80s (newer surplus). Anyway, it's in fantastic condition since he never shot any perps. Thanks to everyone for a quick response.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
yep.. whats called a floating J sn.. from 71/72
Learned something new today I knew about the floating j but always thought the 1j were 1982 looks like the 3rd edition of SCSW had a typo and missed putting a 1 in front of the j looks like the difference is up to 5 numerical digits for the 71 to 72 guns and 6 numerical digits for the 82

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, Mange! 1982 per the SCSW 3rd Edition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Learned something new today I knew about the floating j but always thought the 1j were 1982 looks like the 3rd edition of SCSW had a typo and missed putting a 1 in front of the j looks like the difference is up to 5 numerical digits for the 71 to 72 guns and 6 numerical digits for the 82

Viking: Of course, Dad doesn't remember when he acquired the gun, but I am 100% sure of the serial number 1J7xx5 so only 5 digits after the "J". It could very well be a 71 or 72 gun but could also be later. Thanks for double-checking!

Viking

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
The pinned barrel gives a clue. It was eliminated in 1982.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have one with 1Jxxx do know the date???
I believe that to be a 1982, if the barrel has no pin, it's 1982 and after.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Yep, the 1J numbers,...ugh,...I dunno what they were thinking using it in 2 separate eras.

I have the 3rd Edition of the SCSW also, and very hard to comprehend the 1Js.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello, Machria. That dates to 1981
Awesome, thanks Forester! Man, the S&W serial numbers are REALLY screwed up huh? How in the world are so many firearm manufacturers sn#'s so screwed up, not documented properly, hard to find....??? CRAZY! You would think it would be a pretty simple thing to keep a list of model #'s and serial numbers to go with them. I have a Marlin rifle that was passed down to me by my grandfather, I contacted Marlin with the sn# and a few pics, and their answer was it's either made in 1901 and worth $50k or more, OR it was made in 1948 and is worth about $600. Really?? Thanks a lot Marlin!! krykeee!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts