Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I'm new here and new to this revolver looking for some help on a model 3 44 Russian revolver . The finish nickel has ivory grips that are inked number to gun and look orginal. I have added pics of top and sides and butt of grip please let me know what I found its at a LGS placed on hold. I wanted to check with knowledge bank before buying. Seller wants $1500 plus tax for gun is this a fair price? I really like the grips did smith & Wesson sell ivory grips with there guns as a upgrade? If I do buy thinking about getting letter.

Thank you for your comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
This is way out of my line but I think that's a #3, but not a Russian, that left the factory 1883-90.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
OP, that's a dandy. $1500 is about half price based on what I've seen lately in my end of the world.
Irv, given that the barrel stamp says "Russian model", why would you say it isn't?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn something.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
My guess is it is first model russian aka model no.3 russian1st model. It is same as the american model without the distinctive later russian improvements. Barrel is marked "russian model" made 1871 to 1874. Measure the cylinder should be 1.42"

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts
looks pretty good - no obvious flags .. does the cylinder face have matching serial number ?

only way to verify the grips as factory would be from a letter - although they clearly fit the time period..

number 3 1st model Russian. commercial not Russian contract. - the contract guns had Cyrillic writing, the commercial ones 'Russian Model'

1500 is about retail for a 'fair' condition gun.. with 3000 for a 'good'

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
OP, that's a dandy. $1500 is about half price based on what I've seen lately in my end of the world.
Irv, given that the barrel stamp says "Russian model", why would you say it isn't?
I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just trying to learn something.

Like I said out of my line, I thought the Russians had the extra finger doohickey on the trigger guard. After looking in the SCSW I see some didn't. You're correct.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Way out of my comfort zone, too. The finger doohickeys always looked like they could be painful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put a deposit on pistol will update once it's in hand.

Thank you all for your comments and info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This model did not use lanyard the screw is correct. All number parts also match very pleased with this purchase.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm reading the top picture the cylinder appears to be 1_7\16" which is about 1.42" or 44 russian the bottom picture looks to be slightly less. Need a good measurement. The 44 russian case is the same diameter as 44 special and 44 mag only shorter. A 44 american cylinder neck diameter is .438" the 44 russian has neck diameter of .457"

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
HI,
Picked her up yesterday here are some more pics after oiling and cleaning . Any one know how to take care of ivory grips so they don't dry out a crack?
Contact Paleobond at paleobond.com and ask about stabilizing antique ivory. They make all manner of cyanoacyllics for paleontologist, knife restorers, and lots more. The staff is helpful and will probably listen to you before offering suggestions. Not cheap, but. The only real game in town. I’ve used their products on restoring punky mammoth ivory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts