Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this gun a couple of weeks ago and can't identify for sure. It is a 32 serial # is 392479. Not sure why it isn't legible in the picture. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

IMG_6573.jpg
IMG_6574.jpg
IMG_6577 (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
19,655 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! You have a S&W .32 Double Action top break revolver that shipped between 1909 and 1919. The revolver is chambered for .32 S&W which is the short version of .32 S&W Long.

This is totally wrong. See below.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Wiregrassguy!! 1 additional question. From what little I could find on the internet I think this is a 3rd Model because of the shape of the trigger guard. Am I correct on that?

·
Premium Member
19,655 Posts
I apologize. I must have been totally asleep when I posted earlier this morning. Your revolver is a .38 Double Action, 4th Model from around the turn of the 19th to 20th century (1899 or so). It is not an antique as that category ended at serial number 382022. Your gun chambers .38 S&W (not .38 Special) which is still available and can be fired in that top break as long as the action is good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow a 38? Guess that shows how lost I have been. The guy I bought it from said it was a 32 and I couldn't make out the writing on top of the barrel, so I just assumed he was correct. Hearing that it is modern enough to shoot smokeless ammo through is a nice surprise. Thank you so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts