Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Help with Identifying this S&W .38 S&W CTG

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  ikar 
#1 · (Edited)
I have inherited a S&W .38 with serial number 110811. There is no other markings on the gun except the .38S&W CTG on the barrel. Any insight would be appreciated.
bobsGuns
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory
Revolver Wood Trigger Air gun Office equipment
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

See less See more
#3 ·
Yep, good clear pics of both sides and all markings

#8 ·
I'm thinking you have a .38 Chief's Special. Probably shipped in 1956 or 1957. Looks to be in terrific condition.
Later on it became the Model 36.

#19 ·
I had a old one of these but it had a flat cylinder release and S&W said it was the original configuration that lasted for the first few years. It was a bit harder to use and after that they started using the regular release that I had on my issue model 15s. I don't know how the new release is yet and the way things are going, I may have to rent one just to find out.

#21 ·
To me is looks like a chief's special, similar to the one I used to have except mine had the flat cylinder release. I was surprised to see the crips it has, I haven't seen those since the 70s. With those you can just put it inside yoiur belt and not have to worry about a holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.