Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 38 spl, serial #4764xx, 6-shot, 5 inch bbl, adj rear sight, swing out cylinder. Looking for year of manufacture and which model it is. Thanks for any help provided.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts
Have a 38 spl, serial #4764xx, 6-shot, 5 inch bbl, adj rear sight, swing out cylinder. Looking for year of manufacture and which model it is. Thanks for any help provided.
Welcome to the forum. Pretty hard to identify without a picture. Did you get the serial number off the butt of the gun?

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
I'm betting on a model 14 or 15, but only a picture would let us ID it for sure.

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! The serial number you posted puts the gun in the 1920's and it's rare that a 5" target revolver was made then. Most were 6". I suspect you left off the K that precedes the number. If that is the case, you have an odd length barrel for a 1962 target revolver. Did you measure it from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle? If it is really 5", it has to be a cut down .38 Masterpiece, Model 14. Then, MOD 14-? will be stamped inside the yoke cut where it can be seen with the cylinder open.

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
The numbers inside the yoke are irrelevant. You are going to have to post pictures because we are just guessing here.

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Ok. We'd still like to see some pictures of the gun. It was made around 1925 and should have grips on it like the M&P target I posted above. The gun's serial number should be stamped inside the right grip panel.

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Ok, That's better. It appears you have a .38 M&P target with a frame made before 1928 and a barrel made after 1928. That date was when the extractor rod knob changed from the mushroom shape seen on my picture to the barrel shape seen on your revolver. There should be a serial number under the barrel on the flat where the extractor rod docks. Please post that number and the number on the rear face of the cylinder so we can confirm those are the same as the frame.

Also, I see a Pachmayr grip adapter which is an enhancement from before target grips to make the hold on the gun more stable. Interesting gun!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, That's better. It appears you have a .38 M&P target with a frame made before 1928 and a barrel made after 1928. That date was when the extractor rod knob changed from the mushroom shape seen on my picture to the barrel shape seen on your revolver. There should be a serial number under the barrel on the flat where the extractor rod docks. Please post that number and the number on the rear face of the cylinder so we can confirm those are the same as the frame.

Also, I see a Pachmayr grip adapter which is an enhancement from before target grips to make the hold on the gun more stable. Interesting gun!

Also, I see a Pachmayr gItip adapter which is an enhancement from before target grips to make the hold on the gun more stable. Interesting gun!
That front sight doesn't look right too me. Maybe a replacement?
The serial number on both the bottom of the frame and the flat of the barrel match.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

The serial number on barrel and frame match.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Almost could not see the number on rear face of cylinder, it matches the other 2. Would S&W match barrel and frame serial numbers if frame and barrel were made at different times?

·
Premium Member
21,072 Posts
Post a picture of the bottom of the grip frame and under the barrel. If you are concerned about security of the serial number, blur out the last two digits.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts