Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never seen marks like this before and can’t seem to get rid of them. It’s on each cylinder. Almost like something is scraping it as it spins but the inside is flush. Has to be something with the screw hole for the sights. Used a brush, Hope’s lead and rust remover, and all kinds of solvents. Any tips to get rid of these?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,066 Posts
Hey W,

Welcome to S&W.

That is stainless?

Did you use FLITZ & SCOTHBRITE?

Did you try different ammo?

Because the FLUTES on your cylinders are indeed marked at about where the front screw for the rear sight is located.

Mayhaps the "gas" from the ammo you are using is "eddying" at that point in the top strap?

Keep us posted.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I use a piece of the lead away cloth and it works great and fast. Having said that ... take a good look at the underside of the top strap. If you arent the original owner someone could have relaced a screw and sent it in to deeo. When I changed my rear sight to fixed I had to carefully file the screws flush. Not a lot of room between the cylinder and screws

·
Registered
27,221 Posts
Hoppes and a copper brush work but I also apply the Hoppes and let it soak a bit prior to brushing and it removes the marks with no problem on SS finishes.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
You could also try soaking with solvent then scraping away at it with an old penny, but use an old pure copper one (1981 or older). The copper is way softer than the steel and wont hurt it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could also try soaking with solvent then scraping away at it with an old penny, but use an old pure copper one (1981 or older). The copper is way softer than the steel and wont hurt it
This is true. I use pennies to cut protective shrink wrap on stainless doors when I install them on the elevators I’m working on

·
Premium Member
12,712 Posts
On stainless steel guns with bright polish surfaces only, I sometimes use a German made polish for particularly stubborn deposits. These polishes contain a fine grit, so a little goes a long way, and never use too much pressure. It's particularly useful for the powder deposits on the front of the cylinder and up in the top strap.

The polish I use is Simichrome.

https://www.amazon.com/Simichrome-390050-Metal-Polish-Tube/dp/B0002YUQ4E

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The cause of these marks are that on the Newer S&Ws the through drill the front sight hole and the screw is not long enough to fill the hole on the bottom of the frame top rail. When gases blow out of the barrel-cyl face gap they swirl leaving the marks. Check and see if the marks line up with the front sight screw. You may be able to stop or minimize the marks by installing a longer screw and filing it flat with the bottom of top strap. Just an idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The cause of these marks are that on the Newer S&Ws the through drill the front sight hole and the screw is not long enough to fill the hole on the bottom of the frame top rail. When gases blow out of the barrel-cyl face gap they swirl leaving the marks. Check and see if the marks line up with the front sight screw. You may be able to stop or minimize the marks by installing a longer screw and filing it flat with the bottom of top strap. Just an idea.
I thought about doing that. Any suggestions on what to use? I’m not sure what might get messed up so close to the cone. Super glue? Silicon?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts