·
Registered
17,190 Posts
Guess Gearchecker will work for me...lol

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd like to try some of the things mentioned here. I use M-Pro 7 bore gel along with BRONZE wool. You still have to be a little careful but it doesn't scratch the stainless easily because it's softer. Of course you should never use steel wool on anything stainless steel and you should also never use any abrasive, wire brush, etc that has been previously used on carbon steel. it can embed iron and cause rusting.

I also wrap bronze wool tightly around a bronze brush when I need to get lead out of a bore. It's easier to find loads that don't lead your bore, but when it happens bronze wool get's the lead out a lot faster than just a brush by itself.

I remember walking into my local Ace hardware close to closing time. I was met by a long time employee, eager to close, who offered an overly friendly "Anything I can help you find?" I said I just needed some bronze wool and would be in and out. He looked at me like I was nuts and said they didn't have anything like that. I told him I had bought it there before and walked him right to it!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a few SS wheelies that suffer from crummy powder burns on the cylinder face, forcing cone, etc. Yuck! I have one of those Lead-Clean gun cloths which has helped to a degree. Anyone know of anything that can get as much as possible the remaining discoloration off, or am I stuck with it the way it is. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95
Try Mother’s rim & aluminum polish. You can get it at any auto parts store. Flutz also works well. I used a cloth polishing pad on a drill & some cloth polishing tips on a dremmel. It take a lot of time & patience. Lightly work it & make sure to wipe off excess polish frequently with a soft cloth to check your progress.

·
Registered
17,190 Posts
Really not powder burns, more like soot deposits from the propellant and the farther the cylinder face is from the forcing cone, the worse it is. When I sent my 460 back to the mothership a few years ago, S&W spaced the cylinder a bit closer to the forcing cone and that eliminated a lot of the soot. Prior to sending it back, I was getting soot tracks down the sides of the cylinder as well.

Reactions: 5150

·
Registered
17,190 Posts

That is nothing compared to what my 460 was like. Yours looks like mascara around the holes.... I'm about where you are now....

Reactions: jeepnut and 5150

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't waste your money on Flitz. Blue Magic is a fraction of the price. You get a lot more for your money. It smells the same, looks the same and works the same as Flitz. Just for fun I used some TR3 last weekend since it was sitting right in front of me and my Blue Magic was put away. It took the stains right out of the stainless with very little effort.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
I use whatever cleaner is handy -- Hoppe's #9, CLP -- and swipe it off with a rag. Then brush it with a toothbrush and the cleaner if the first step doesn't get it all (usually doesn't(. Then brush it with a brass brush and the cleaner.

I have that all of these step work and don't mar the surface.

HTH

21 - 33 of 33 Posts