Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi First time poster. I just inherited my grandfathers (K frame?) snub nosed, six shot, Smith and Wesson .38, SN “V 759619”and need help identifying it and it’s history. I believe it’s a victory model circa WW2 as it has a lanyard hole, square wooden grips, a stamp of “AD 8 , 8 38 7” on the crane, a 2 inch barrel with half-moon front sight and a non-
Helmet Hand Metal
adjustable rear sight. It is blued, and on the barrel it is stamped, “38 s&w spc ctg.” Can you please help? Thank you in advance.
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Attachments

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
That looks like the real deal. Does the SN on the underside of the barrel match the one on the butt?

Most snubs were cut down from longer barrel guns. Original snubs are quite valuable.

Reactions: combat

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
What's the serial number?
Guy, mines C-159693. I guessed about the range and settled for 1950 when I bought it in 2012, but looking at the book again and rethinking matters, it may very well be older than the 1950 date. I wish it was 1948, that would be a 'birth year' gun for my wife Ann! :)

·
Premium Member
20,710 Posts
Thanks, Swamp. Your gun was definitely made in 1944-45 but has been re-barrelled. My serial question was directed at Stacy (Blackcloud2). I probably should have PM'd him rather than hijack your thread because you have a sweet snub even if not original. The grips are nice from the 1930's but not period correct for the Victory revolvers which had uncheckered, plain, round-top grips. It's a sweet package!

·
Premium Member
20,710 Posts
Thanks, Stacy. I'd say maybe even 1951. I'm off on my ramp vs. half moon timeframe, I guess. Anyway, let's not hijack Swamp's thread any further.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Thanks, Jim. I'd say maybe even 1951. I'm off on my ramp vs. half moon timeframe, I guess. Anyway, let's not hijack Swamp's thread any further.
Thanks Guy, but it's Stacy, not Jim! You might still be recovering from the AZ heat when we all went shooting! :)

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I don't believe you'd have any issue shooting even the hottest of 38 Special loads, but I'd personally not try +P ammo because I don't like the harder recoil. However, it shouldn't hurt the gun in any way.

Reactions: Cliff

·
Premium Member
20,710 Posts
Oops, Stacy, getting senile! Yep, like Stacy Says, you can shoot most any commercial ammo in it. In the 1970s all the pressures were downgraded by 30%. So the original 38 Special cartridge was much hotter than today's cartridges.

Guy

·
Registered
6,817 Posts
That is one fine looking gun and a family treasure. A genuine Victory snub would have the dull wartime finish and slick military grips. I would gently remove the stocks to see if they number the gun and see if there is a star and month.year code stamped on the side of the frame.there is a remote chance it was later factory work.

(FYI my Triplelock went through a factory overhaul in 1955, I have seen a 1920's gun that was brought back to new in 1968. It can happen.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.